MR-8 and CF upgrade cards - User Experiences

anyone have any news on cf cards for this old red? are cf cards even still made? I do still feel like using this old machine and would like to not care about how much room or compatibility... yea, been a while....

Hey all, I just ordered an MR8 MKII and I've been wondering about a 2GB card as well. Newegg has some for $9.99. Also, has anyone tried to use an SD->CF adapter in an MR8? I just saw one at the following site, looks intriguing, but I'm wondering if the following:

Digieffects SDXCF Extreme SD HC XC to CF found at bandhphoto.com

will actually work in an MR8 as they talk about CF Type II. Does the MR8 use CF Type I cards?

Looking forward to receiving my MR8 and using it for small compositions and as a notepad.

thanks,

Stef

Hi..... (newbie here, just joined this forum/introduced myself)
I bought a used Fostex MR8 (the red version, not the mkII)

I've inserted a new blank SanDisk Ultra 4GB 30MB/s CF card into my Fostex MR8
and I get a "Card Error" message...

...I've tried the Menu button, and the screen won't change to show
the menu. The screen stays stuck with the "Card Error" message display.
I can't even create a song (just a 1-track mic test "1 2 3")
to store it internally in the MR8 (its gotta have some kind of built-in
hard-drive, right?)

so that I can load it into the CF card... I'm reading the PDF manual as I
go along, but by this time I'm already aggravated.
I'm assuming that my MR8 can't recognize my $30 4gig CF card, so I'll just
have to use a lower-capacity CF card.

I've also downloaded an update for my MR8 (which I don't know how to
install it into the MR8, but I'll address that situation in its proper thread
later on after I figure out how to get my 4gig CF card working).

Any help and/or suggestions would be very much appreciated,
Thanks in advance. :)

These cards all work. I'm not sure how many of them are still available though.

SanDisk 1.0GB
SanDisk Ultra 2GB 15MB/s
SanDisk Ultra 4GB 30MB/s
PNY Optima 1GB CF01GAF09110

(yawn)....I'm not expecting any immediate replies, so no rush. lol

It's 8:32pmEST in my region, I'm about to log off...
...I think tomorrow I'll take my red MR8 to my local
Guitar Center (Albany, NY) and trade it in/plus cash
for a used MR8 mkII. If GC doesn't have any used
mkII machines in stock I'll just get a different brand
machine. lol

...G'nighty night, all. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Before you lose your cool!!!!! I suggest you look up the MR8 Confirmed Media List .pdf. I can send you one of you PM me. The list only goes up to 2 Gb.
Re the update. They usually come with a .pdf of instructions. The latest version is 1.21.

Thanks, Terfyn... the first thing I did was download the Confirmed Media list.
Yes, the list does only go up to 2gb... and I thought "damn, with 4gb I could
get a lot more songs done!" lol.

I also downloaded the latest update version 1.21, I'm gonna read the pdf
instructions for it right now, perhaps the update will then tweak the
red toy to recognize and handle my SanDisk 4gb CF card.......

I'll go ahead and give it another shot, will report back here with results.
Again, thanks for your help. :)

Before you lose your cool!!!!! I suggest you look up the MR8 Confirmed Media List .pdf. I can send you one of you PM me. The list only goes up to 2 Gb.
Re the update. They usually come with a .pdf of instructions. The latest version is 1.21.

(siiiiigh)......okay, I bought a USB card reader and copied the
update file (mr08_mv1.21) to the CF card... I inserted the CF card
into the little red Pain-In-The-Azz and turned the machine on.....
...I still get the "Card Error" (Error 08) message, and even when
I press the Enter button, that error message display is still there.

I got on my cell phone and called the musical instrument dealer
where I bought the little red P.I.T.A.
(Drome Sound, in Schenectady NY) and explained the problem
to the sales clerk. The clerk suggested I bring the machine in,
AND the CF card, so that we could format the card right there and then,
and do some troubleshooting if we can get the machine to work.
I suggested bringing the machine back to
the shop and exchanging it for any other used multitrack
recorder of equal value (I'll add more money to get either a
used Fostex VF160 which is my preferred machine, or a used
Roland V840)...
...in any case, I'm not gonna let my hard-earned $100 go down
the toilet on some junk toy p.o.s.
($75 for the machine, plus $30 for the SanDisk 4Gb CF card)

From now on whenever I buy used gear whether it's a
multitrack machine or a pair of splintered drum sticks
I'm gonna test it right there with the clerk, Thoroughly,
Before I fork my cash and walk out the door with the gear.
And, I aint buying NO MORE CF Cards! lol

I've always shopped at the store mentioned above and
they have always sold me good working gear at good deals;
this time I slacked for quality control on a used item
I thought would work for my songwriting projects.

I apologize for my angry tone in this message.

I have done the same you have, minus the update, and I think the Fostex will only do 2GB cards, period. Same error message and same card in mine, so I took it back. I'm still gonna try and get it rollin with 2GB cards on ebay

some good old info on the cards in here, i've been seeing some older cars actually going for way more $ than i would think, i wonder if they can make a cf adapter that uses newer, faster, CHEAPer SD or something, but also compatible with old red.

Yep, looks like it.

I don't think the MR8 has the nostalgic value for users to hang onto in the long run. I never had one, but I've followed your discussion. I have a Tascam PocketStudio5 and DP02cf, and a host of other older digital porta format units. I'm sure there are a few MR8 users out there still. It's a legacy product now, beyond mature.

I was surprised how small the MR8 was when I saw it in the music shop once. Looked too much like a toy and not enough like a mixer, but I could tell it was one of those functional little Fostexes. The compactness and battery operation were a charming feature if you need portability. Some of the other issues, like weak preamps, I could never justify enough to jump in, but the DP02cf has weak preamps too, so go figure.

To try to use a CF/SD card adapter might be worthwhile & breathe new life into this product. Let us know if you try it. YMMV.

:spank::eek:;)

Fostex mr-8 Cf card problems? Here's the answere.

Hi..... (newbie here, just joined this forum/introduced myself)
I bought a used Fostex MR8 (the red version, not the mkII)

I've inserted a new blank SanDisk Ultra 4GB 30MB/s CF card into my Fostex MR8
and I get a "Card Error" message...

...I've tried the Menu button, and the screen won't change to show
the menu. The screen stays stuck with the "Card Error" message display.
I can't even create a song (just a 1-track mic test "1 2 3")
to store it internally in the MR8 (its gotta have some kind of built-in
hard-drive, right?)

so that I can load it into the CF card... I'm reading the PDF manual as I
go along, but by this time I'm already aggravated.
I'm assuming that my MR8 can't recognize my $30 4gig CF card, so I'll just
have to use a lower-capacity CF card.

I've also downloaded an update for my MR8 (which I don't know how to
install it into the MR8, but I'll address that situation in its proper thread
later on after I figure out how to get my 4gig CF card working).

Any help and/or suggestions would be very much appreciated,
Thanks in advance. :)

I have one of the Little Reds, and I love it! It makes excellent recordings! And- it's easy to use. Although... I first got it, because it seamed like a really good price at the time, but then I didn't use it much. It actually sat in a draw for a couple years. Then When I decide to put it to use, and do some serious recording, I quickly ran out of space on the ridiculously small card they give you with the recorder. I thought, Oh well, I'll just buy more cards. I was then surprised to find out that none of the cards I could find any where would work with the recorder. Then, I spent hours trying to find out how to rectify this problem. I searched the internet for cards, and information on what to do. I wasn't willing to just throw the thing away and buy something else. Going to the Fostex site didn't help. They had several updates listed, but no information that I could find on how to perform the upgrades, and they don't have any customer support. I even sent emails to Fostex Reps, which didn't help. They don't seem to care if the product they created actually works for the person who bought it. One thing I did learn through all my internet research, is that, there are many people with the same problem. Many of whom are trading, selling, or just throwing the "Damn" thing away. WELL THERE IS A SOLUTION.... I went on the Fostex site, and found a list of Fostex Dealers. I believe it was American Music, or something like that. The Dealer told me to download the latest, and final upgrade at the Fostex site. This is the mr08_mv1.21. He then sent me, via email the instructions on how to upload the upgrade to my mr-8. And it worked. With the upgrade, any flash card 2GB or less should work with the recorder. Larger than 2GB will not work. I've been finding them used for $10.00 to $20.00. I bought four of them. I'll be set for a while. A 2GB gives you a lot of recording time. If you know of other forums about this issue, please pass this on.

My son and I have been successfully using a CF-to-MicroSD adapter for a year or so with my second-hand red MR-8. Even the 2GB MicroSD cards are getting hard to find these days, so I tend to buy cheap job lots when they come up on Ebay.

One word of warning if you want to get a CF adapter. These come in two different type called Type 1 and Type 2. They are exactly the same width and length, but the Type 2 is thicker and will not fit the MR-8's card slot. Again, the Type 1 adapters are rarer, and many sellers don't specify which type they are selling - look at the photo of the actual item, which should say "Type 1" or "Type 2" on the label. Apart from that, there is no functional difference between using an adapter and using a CF card, and the MicroSD cards are a lot cheaper.

Thanks, that was exactly what i was wondering, i just recently saw adapters for the CF to micro SD when i was searching for cf cards. So i think I'll try to get a type 1 adapter and a bunch of micro sd.

I use the Ultra and Ultra II compact flash drive by SanDisk 2G size max. at 15MB Sec. and they all work well. Does anyone know if an adaptor is made for the Fostex MR-8 where the smaller cards on the market (such as those by Transcend) could be used? I usually order the Sandisk CF cards from Amazon but they are getting expensive now. Thanks, KJ

I love my Fostex MR-8 digital recorders. Great to learn that there is a Type I CF Adaptor that will work using the newer Micro SD cards. Best, KJ

Ok, newbie here. 63 years old and starting a new chapter in my life. I just bought an MR-8 at a pawn shop for $20. Ordered a 2GB CF card that ws on the list. My first of many questions I'm sure. My card will be here soon but how do I find out what version of software I have on this thing? It doesn't look like it was ever used but the CF card was not in the box.

Back