MR-8 and CF upgrade cards - User Experiences

Re: Re: Viking 512M CFC - No Go

Eric-Jensen said:
Bizzwriter--Is the Viking 512MB noticeably slower in other aspects, like recording or downloading? I could live with not being able to mix down on board, I guess (says the guy who has a Viking coming from Amazon). It sounds like the extra $50 for the Transcend is the way to go, and I'll be sending the Viking back.

Eric: Recording seemed fine speedwise -- didn't notice any lag with the Viking 512 cfc. I didn't try downloading any files to my computer -- as soon as I confirmed the bounce problem, I sent the chip back to Amazon.com the very next day. Sounds like the prices are getting ready to drop all around, so I'll be giving the Transcend a try soon, too.

thanks !
The guitar ( a taylor 414 w/ fisher prefix matrix ) was plugged into the mr-8. I may try also miking in the future.
rs8

Verbatim 256mb

Hi Everyone,
I bought the Verbatim compact flash. It's very common here in Canada and it seems to be working fine. I've recorded on 1-4 bounced to 5/6 and 7/8 and then converted 7/8 to a wav file and all seems fine. About the cheapest I've found this card is $179 at Staples Business Depot (that's about 80 cents American!)
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World!

snow kicked my ass. sore in every muscle. job's been busy. so i guess i have more time to wait for the 512s to come down. great info here. Simpletec good deal. 10x good info. I just hope that when the prices drop i can still get my hands on a 256. I could use a 10 gig hard drvive, buy you can't find it new for $40 or i'd get one. you can only get bigger than you'd ever need for about the same price as before....

I was at Fry's today and for some reason i got the notion to just try my luck with one of those generic CompactFlash cards. On the way home i started regretting it because I know the MR8 is picky. I went for the gusto and just bought one. a 512 Mb version. $159.99. Well much to my surprise, all the tests i have done so far proved succesful (recording, playing, bouncing. I use v. 1.0.3)! I have yet to plug this card into my flash reader. The package it came in says it was made by PQI (http://www.pqiusa.com/) but it was in Frys' catalog as 512COMPAC. And when i turn my Mr8 on, it displays the volumes label as "Flash Card".

This is my first time buying an aftermarket card for my mr8 so if you know any other known issues that some processes might have with incompatible cards, let me know and I will test it.

I get 100 minutes and 1 second from this card when it is freshly formatted (not 96)!

p.s. Does anyone want to buy another 128 mb chip? I'll let it go for like 50 bucks plus shipping if this new card i got doesn't start failing.

Memorex 256

I finally got frustrated with the supplied card and went to Fry's looking for a Simpletech 512. First of all, they told me Simpletech doesn't make a 512. Then he said they were all out of the 256 until next week. So I took a chance and bought a Memorex 256. Works fine, but an even C-note seems quite high. loaded it to n-track and all works cool.

Maybe a cheap 512 is what I should have bought......?

This weekend I recieved the Ridata 256MB 20x card that i won on ebay for $64.00. (mentioned further up in this thread)

I messed around a little bit...

drums on 5/6
bass on 1
guitar on 2

stopping for the night...but everything is working out FINE.

Havent done any bouncing yet...

I get 6 minutes on Normal mode.

I returned a Viking 512 unopened to Amazon (thanks bdbdbuck for the tip) ordered before I found this group. I've been using a simple tech 512 mb card I orderd instead for two days now. Works like a charm--bounces, records, all that stuff. I put three songs on, about 4 tracks each, and then started fooling with a new one. About 45 minutes of undo files later, I hit the out of space wall. Nice. I don't know WHY you want ten levels of undo, but they're there. What it really means is being able to record without constantly deleting unused tracks. 96+ normal mode minutes when fresh, $105 with rebate from J&R.

Eric-Jensen said:
I returned a Viking 512 unopened to Amazon (thanks bdbdbuck for the tip) ordered before I found this group. I've been using a simple tech 512 mb card I orderd instead for two days now. Works like a charm--bounces, records, all that stuff. I put three songs on, about 4 tracks each, and then started fooling with a new one. About 45 minutes of undo files later, I hit the out of space wall. Nice. I don't know WHY you want ten levels of undo, but they're there. What it really means is being able to record without constantly deleting unused tracks. 96+ normal mode minutes when fresh, $105 with rebate from J&R.

I'm ordering one right now! GREAT price!

I traded in the simpletech 256 at Fry's for a PQI 512 which is made by Samsung today and sofar it's working fine. $ 159.00 at Fry's . Matt at Fostex said this is one of the cards they are testing but I took a chance on this because Fry's has a 15 return policy.

Mike

mstevens 51, that's the same one i got just recently from Fry's in Canoga Park, California for the same price. email me (or post on the board) if you find any problems with it so I can be aware. I will do the same. But so far so good for me with the PQI 512.

Turn, I noticed your post and thats why I went ahead and got this one (pqi) Have you been doing alot of bouncing and converting wave files? That seems to be where the problems are.

I bought mine at the same Fry's. Lets hope all goes well.

Mike

yeah i have bounced and converted with no issues. it looks like this card is pretty solid with the mr8. hopefully this card will end up on the next 'confirmed' list.

Eric-Jensen said:

Would you mind confirming the model number on that card?

Buy.com has the STI-CF/512 for $99 after rebate, but I want to make sure on the model before ordering.

Thanks!

Ridata 256MB 20x

This is a fine card.

I get 6 min of top quality audio!

works great.

$64 on ebay!

I know it probably has nothing to do with it but I just recorded the best sounding stuff i've ever done!

Alesis SR-16 drums

Fender P-Bass Special through Yamaha DG Stomp

Epiphone Casnio through Yamaha DG Stomp with the expression pedal for some wah

Fender 52RI telecaster

WOW I was just trying to throw some stuff down to test the card....all first takes....all really good takes!

Good price I remember the Ridata being on the list. Ebay new? I'll go looking that sounds like a deal.

So, let's hear it. :)

Back