MR-8 Card Full!

sungardn

First of all,I have the MR-8. I'm running in extended mode. I recorded on tracks 1-4, then bounced all to tracks 5/6 - erased tracks 1-4 did the delete unused thing and recorded on tracks 1-4 again then tried to bounce tracks 1-5/6 to tracks 7/8. But, while bouncing it stops saying "Card Full" I did the Delete unused again. But the card is still full. In extended mode w/128mb card recording time should be about 48-50 track min. My song is 5 min. long, when I do the math, 8 tracks X 5 min. is 40 track min. I should have plenty of space on the flashcard. Right ? could someone Please Help ?

cf card

This may not be right but your 8 tracks at 5 min. take up 40 min. of space which leaves you with your 8-10 min left over. If you divide the 6 tracks you are bouncing into those 8-10 minutes,it won't be enough to cover a 5 min. song after bounce. An option you have, if you are not using pc to mix, is to mix your 6 tracks to tape, clear out your cf card, and then send your 6 tracks back to MR8 on 1 track. You can overdub again or just use as a digital copy to burn to cd. Use a mixer if you can when you send to tape for some eq control. But I suggest to you if your are not pc mixing is to invest in a 256 card or larger. Well worth the investment and there is a past thread in here that tells you which ones are compatible. Or go to fostex site. The MR8 is a great machine for what it can do by itself but for projects your size, it seems pc importing and exporting,mixing is the way to go. Good Luck Pj

probably full

I am not sure about pj's math there, but here goes my theory

you have 8 tracks @ 5 min = 40 track minutes.

you are trying to record 2 tracks @ 5 min = 10 minutes.

card only has 48 to 50 minutes, so it is very likely that it is indeed getting full.

the 256 card will double the time for you.

thats it

I think you are just about at that cards limits too. The mr8 is a great little machine and you can get nice results, BUT it was designed with the though of using it in conjunction with the computer, although that is not really how it is advertised

before trying to bounce again, you have to delete the target bounce tracks, 7/8 and then delete unused again. if you have exactly 5 mins per track, then you have 6 x 5 = 30 mins. then add 2 for 10mins and you have 40. so it should fit. but if you have 5 mins and 30 seconds per track then you have used up 3 more minutes with 33 mins used on 1 to 6. should still be enough room. make sure you have no other songs in the memory, or any stereo wave files you converted in the 2mix directory. there could also be leftover files somewhere on the card. check the contents with a pc and see if there's some other fragments on it. if there are, then upload the song you are working on to pc, make a backup copy of that on anohter pc or a cdr or another directory or someting, then re format the card and download the song back to the chip. I'd only do this if you've tested that you've done it before though. Also, even if one of your tracks is over 5 mins and you've erased some of it, a lot of it, or a piece or some of the end, the part you've tried to erase doesn't return back to free memory pool. it stays there on the track, the track isn't reset to the new ending.

BTW, what does it say when you arm a track? how much time is left? whatever it says, you have to divide by 2, of course. so hopefully when you've made sure you have room, arm and it should say 14 minutes remaining or something like that. 7 per track.

extended mode

This is a problem also, you cant mix to a cd like that, and you cant send to the computer like that, the only thing you can do in extended mode is send it to a cassette tape, you are not using the potential of the machine.

the mr8 is really designed to be used in conjunction with the computer although it really isnt advertised that way,,,,

I use extended mode all the time without any problems, except some occasional minor glitches. I can bounce, up and dn load w/ pc, and burn cds. when I capture audio on pc from a live source at 22k and mono and burn an audio cd, my 10 year old Onkyo cd player plays it fine. What problems have you had with it?

bit depth

according to the manual, extended mode is not at the 16 bit depth that you have to have to transfer to a cd, all cd's are at 16 bit, extended mode is not...sounds like you are burning low res mp3's to a cd, very low quality

Back