Keyboard into MR8: Line level input not working properly

Try turning the volume of your keyboard up, or running it through a pre amp. I know the keyboard is line level, but the amps in the keyboard might not be that great. Turn the volume of the keyboard up till it clips then back it off. You should get a good signal that way.

Thanks for the response, rokket. I already had the keyboard turned up to maximum volume.

So you think the problem is just that the preamp in the keyboard is bad and creates a weak line level signal? I thought all line level signals were equal, and that there werent degrees of strength so to speak within them (becides like 4 db and -10 db). Am i wrong?

Some keyboards are fairly hot and others weaker. In either case you should be able to input to the MR8 without problem. Just use the trim knob until the signal is at the right level.

I have an assortment of line level gear, and each is a little different. I just adjust until it levels correctly. At that point one really does not care where the trim is set. You just want the correct signal.

Ed

SkyFlyer:

The same thing happens to me.
I record my Alesis QS direct and always have to bring the trim up to the middle ( aprox ). It also depends on the voice you are using.

Some people here will say that you should better use a good mixer to preamplify the signal from the keyboard because the preamplifier in the Fostex MR8 is not good, but even in this case you will have to use the trim to boost it a little more before clipping.

You should always record the keyboard at max volume because, apart from getting the signal as hot as possible, it is where the keyboard signal will have the maximum signal to noise ratio.

Back