Installing internal disc on FD-4?

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
Okay, I bought a 10GB laptop-type hard disc for my FD-4.

Then I opened up the FD-4, and there's no connector, just the spot where the connector should go. Do I need to get a multipin connector and solder it in? Possibly that and a cable?

Soldering in a small multipin connector is not what I had in mind. I just thought the connector would be there, and all I'd need would be a cable. This is apparently not so.

Has anyone here ever done this FD-4/disk upgrade themselves, DIY-style?

It seems like a lot of work to solder in that connector. I thought it would be plug & play. Now, I'm considering returning the hard disc.

Any advice anyone? JR#97?

Sell me the hard disk...

The FD-4 HD install was supposedly easier than the FD-8 install. The FD-8 was a factory only install or something stupid. I think the FD-4 kit is similar, but might also include the pin to connect the cables to. I emailed Fostex and the kit is about $30. Here is a copy of the e-mail they sent me:

You can order that from our sales dept at 800-936-7839 at ext 108 or email
shellyb@fostex.com
The the kit ( 9045 ) is $30.

I e-mailed and called to order one and they never got back to me.

I've ripped open my FD-8 before and it's equipped with the pins to connect the HD. Although, without the kit, the drive would be flopping around. I might just velcro the drive down :eek: :D :cool:

Anywho, I have a pic of the install kit if you want it e-mailed....
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Okay, thanx. Email me that pic and any other info you have,...

to d.archuleta@att.net

As I said, the connector is not there on the pca, just a blank/open spot where the connector should be soldered in.

In your case, on the FD-8, if the connector is there, all you'd need would be a cable, and yes, I think velcro would do the trick.

In my case, there's not even a connector. That's why I'm hesitant.

Email me the pic & info, & I'll check it out.

The 10gb disc only cost $85, [FRY's], but I might want to return it anyway, before too much time passes. I bought it yesterday, and will probably return it today. Then, if the cable/adapter kit looks sufficient, then I'll buy the disc again when the FD-4's been setup to accept the disc.

Here's something I found for ya, Reel...

Posted: July 27 2002,09:53

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found it! First you need to buy yourself the bracket, the ide-cable (50 pins), the connector (50 pins) and the wiring included... This is partnumber 9045 rom Fostex Japan. You have to solder the ide-connector on the board where it says HD. Of course the connector is on the upper-side of the board, the pins have to be soldered on the downside of the board. The sparing in the ide-connector has to face the side of the board. Then you have the wire, being two wires. One is for +5 v the other is the ground. Locate on the up-side of the board a place where it says : To W5. This is a place where there are four open spots in where you can solder. When the ide-connector is nearest to you, the spot where to solder the wiring is on the left side of the four open spots. It is marked by a square drawn on the board, just above where it says To W5. The red wire goes on the far left, the white one just right from this one. This leaves two open spaces on the right of the white wiring, which you don't need. Then connect the red wire just above the ide-connector where it says W5 D + 5. This is a place where two open spots are... The red wire goes on the left side, the white on the right. Now attach your harddrive, put evrything back together and ready you are... Of course you can choose to solder the wire on the downside of the board for esthetic reasons, because of the fact that the places have been tinned to the down-side as well.

hope that helps!

oh, and fyi, you'll need to upgrade your OS version to accomidate a larger drive.

Okay, thanx a lot. That's useful info. I've copied it down for later.

Now, what about upgrading my OS? How do I find out what OS I have, and how's it upgraded? What's the story on that?

Thanx.;)

Back