Help! Questions About BUSS RECORDING in my Fostex VF160ex

Mike Freze

Hi! Although I have a laptop computer with Cubase LE as a home recording software program, I did buy a Fostex VF160ex two years ago and I'm now trying to get into it. I have been following the manual and have a few questions.

First, is there any advantage to using my Fostex digital stand-alone recorder/mixer vs. using my laptop with my Cubae LE recording software at hand as well? Or is there really no advantage for me to use my Fostex with my computer setup? Maybe I wasted my money buying this portable digital recorder if I have my computer setup at hand.

The other question is this. I'm confused with the whole BUSS RECORDING option with Fostex (or with my computer software program as well). What is this BUSS thing? Do I first record my audio or midi instruments in the DIRECT RECORD mode (to how many tracks I decide to use) and then I need to switch to the buss recording mode to use special effects, mixing (pan, EQ, faders, etc.) to add those things to the original tracks I record in direct recording mode? Or do I choose buss recording right to begin with if I have audio instruments plugged into the Fostex recorder (say, guitar/bass/vocals) for recording but I want to use the built in special effects or mixdown options?

So, when I choose a buss recording option, does mean I need to "buss" or send my special effects to new, unused tracks to get the effects to record on to my original audio tracks that I first recorded in the DIRECT RECORD mode? If that's true, then how do I combine my orignal audio recordings (dry) in direct recording mode with the synthesized effects (pan, faders, reverb, etc.) to save as a final program recording which includes those mixdown effects?

Guess I don't understand the BUSS word. Can't effects just be added to the audio tracks you originally recorded with DIRECT RECORDING mode without worrying about this bussing thing?

In my Cubae LE computer home recording software, there's a command to add effects to your pre-recorded audio tracks and it lets you "sample" or "test" the effect before you save. If you like it, it save it to the audio tracks you recorded: NO NEED to deal with buss settings, buss routes, buss anything. So what am I not understanding?

Mike Freze

Mike:

I'll try and answer some of your questions

First, is there any advantage to using my Fostex digital stand-alone recorder/mixer vs. using my laptop with my Cubae LE recording software at hand as well? Or is there really no advantage for me to use my Fostex with my computer setup? Maybe I wasted my money buying this portable digital recorder if I have my computer setup at hand.

I guess it really depends on what you want to do. I have a VF160EX and use it for several things. First I use it as a portable field recorder if I am recording somewhere I don't want to have to drag my entire computer setup (I use Sonar 8PE with a rack mount computer so it is not all that portable). I also use the VF160EX to provide 8 additional inputs to my Focusrite Saffire interface by using the digital outputs from the VF. I also have used it as a backup recorder while recording in my studio just on the off chance that something bad happens with my computer.

The other question is this. I'm confused with the whole BUSS RECORDING option with Fostex (or with my computer software program as well). What is this BUSS thing? Do I first record my audio or midi instruments in the DIRECT RECORD mode (to how many tracks I decide to use) and then I need to switch to the buss recording mode to use special effects, mixing (pan, EQ, faders, etc.) to add those things to the original tracks I record in direct recording mode? Or do I choose buss recording right to begin with if I have audio instruments plugged into the Fostex recorder (say, guitar/bass/vocals) for recording but I want to use the built in special effects or mixdown options?

Ok, that's a mouthful, but here's what I know. The "BUSS thing" allows you to record whatever inputs you are using to the same one or two channels (R+L). So basically, if you want to record several sources but don't want them all recorded to separate tracks, but rather just want to pan them across a stereo field, you would use BUSS record. Personally, I like to put everything on a separate track and worry about mixing down later so I always use DIRECT record. But that's just me. You can apply effects in both DIRECT or BUSS record mode after the fact, but you can only record the effects right away if you use BUSS record. With DIRECT record, you actually record dry but can apply effects later when you bounce your tracks. I'd refer you to the manual for the specifics.

So, when I choose a buss recording option, does mean I need to "buss" or send my special effects to new, unused tracks to get the effects to record on to my original audio tracks that I first recorded in the DIRECT RECORD mode? If that's true, then how do I combine my orignal audio recordings (dry) in direct recording mode with the synthesized effects (pan, faders, reverb, etc.) to save as a final program recording which includes those mixdown effects?

I think what you are asking here is how do you record effects that you want to apply to your DIRECT recorded tracks. What you would do here is to set your effects to each of your DIRECT recorded tracks and then do a MIXDOWN in INTERAL MIXDOWN MODE to a separate program.

Hope this helps.

msr

Back