HELP! Fostex D-80/90 Hard Drive Key Lost!

tonyA

Help! Well you know, just when you need it, it is gone! Can anyone tell me where I can get these keys? Does anyone have any solution so I could replace the harddrive without using a sledge hammer on this HDR's?

Thanks.

Tony,

I have an extra that I could send to you which should probably work.

Since I'm fairly new to the group and don't recognize many people's names I'd appreciate if a few regulars here ( Skippy in particular ) could post and confirm that they've seen you around and think that you are trustworthy.

The reason for this is that I'd feel really bad if I unwittingly helped some devious person to rip off hard drives from other people, etc.

Please understand, it's nothing personal, it's just that I don't know you. :-)

Best of luck!

John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

Thanks!

John,

You are a gentleman and a scholar! It is very nice to know that someone would really come to my aid out of nothing. I am glad to know that we really do have a community around here.

I have been in this group since 1999 and you could search my post and determine from there what kind of a person I am especially about the post "Am I the Only one?" in Dragon's Cave forum.

By the way, after being frustrated that I won't get a key, I called fostex and left a message on their answering machine. Within two hours, I received a call and ordered the key for $5.00 each. I ordered two and having it shipped first class from California (UPS would have been so slow and Fedex would have been very expensive.

So, I hope I would receive the keys within a few days, but if not, I might just have to ask you to send you keys to me and I will reimburse you for the expenses.

Thank you very much!

Tony.

got the keys!

I got the keys:

shipping & handling: $4.99
keys 2 pairs $5.00
total 9.99

Wow, I ordered two, I didn't know they come in paris.

Fostex support - 100% okay

Thanks......for being there for my peace of mind in the mean time.

Hi Tony,

Someone is looking for a Fostex Key on the Fostex user Group, see message below. Wanna sell your spares? ;-)

John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

----- Original Message -----
Wrom: AUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNNSKVFVWRKJVZ
To: <fdug@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 1:47 AM
Subject: [fdug] Help w/D-90

> Just purchased a D-90 on E-bay. Some questions; can I get the manual
> somewhere? Where can I get a key for the hard drive caddy?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim

Hi everyone--

I realize this is a reply to an 11-year old post, but I figure possibly it may help others even at this late date.

I recently purchased a D80 on eBay that came without a hard drive key--

After looking carefully at pictures of the key and doing some research, I learned that this is a standard barrel key that's readily available
everywhere. I found a set on eBay-- It's called a "235 Barrel Key", (it's marked with a code "235" on the grip) and can be used for anything from motorcycle compartments, to toolboxes, to luggage, to Fostex D80's! Sure enough, when it arrived I tried it and it worked perfectly. Under $10 for a set of 2 on eBay. To unlock the drive, you insert the key with the notch at 9:00, push in with some force, and turn it counterclockwise to 6:00. Then the drive will just pull straight out.

Hope this helps!

hi..i ve got a d80 without the key..i read your post but i can't find this key on ebey..do you know where can i find it?sorry for my english.. thanks a lot in advance.. i live in europe..

Another option is to replace the entire hard drive caddy with a generic PC unit available from most computer shops.

Hi,

I'd like to buy one of them keys as I need to replace the HD in my Fostex D90.
Can you please send a picture of it (or a link) because when I type "235 barrel key" some really antique looking gate keys show up.
Thank You in advance!
Tibby

Back