Fostex XR-5... a little help?

Hi there, I'm going to get my first 4 track, and I've been offered a Fostex XR-5... I don't know much about 4 tracks so I was wondering what people's opinions on this model are? Are there any reviews and descriptions on the net someone could link to? Could someone just describe it?<br>
Off the top of my head; Does it have a built in microphone? Would normal tapes work in it or .DATS or what?

Yes,
we are here.....

Just my oppinion.... I'd forget the 4 track cassette deck, and go digital. Minidisc or stand alone hard disk. You may have to be patient and wait awhile, but you will get so much mor for your money!

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

I dunno.... I would do, I'd just have to wait a hell of a long time to get the money together..I didn't know you got ones that went straight to minidisc? What sort of price range are we talking here? :)

Hey:
I've owned an XR-5 for about four years now, and have been pretty happy with it, with the exception of the time a year and a half ago, when the thing broke for no reason (record button wouldn't stay depressed, meaning I could record unless I manually jammed it in that position, which produced a very loud clicking sound).
I bought it because I wanted something better than a bargain basement 4-track, but couldn't afford digital. For the hobbyist, it's more than fine - you've got two effects sends, an insert jack for compression, bouncing is fairly easy. Although you've only got a 2-band EQ - saw something a Yamaha deck for what I paid for this (roughly $380, US) that featured a 3-band EQ, which would be nice.
Overall, though, I think you'd probably be pretty happy with it, as long as you're not expecting to coax CD-quality sound out of it.

I have an XR-5 and recently bought a FD-8 digital. The only thing I found wrong with the 4 track (besides number of tracks) is the hiss. I think with the right toys you can eliminate it.

Back