Fostex x-34 vs. Tascam 414 MKII

orificium

I'm not sure which to get...

Was hoping someone could help me out.

Basically these are the features I like about both of them, and the features each other lacks.

Fostex has the feature that looks like it might benefit me most (although I have no experience with recording, so I may be wrong). But it has something called Auto-Routing where I can route any input channel into onto any track. I assume I can route as many channels as I like to any track (confirm this please if anyone knows?). Now, can the Tascam model do this? Other than the fact that it looks more user-friendly (not sure if that's bad though because it looks kinda chinsy too), that's about the only feature it has over the Tascam model.

The Tascam has more inputs, a HiZ Guitar Input (which I like a lot), and dbx noise reduction (which I think is better than the fostex's dolby, but I may be wrong. confirm?)

With all this said, could someone recommend me the better of the two?

Sorry I meant that I own the 424. It's much nicer than the 414. Worth the 100 for sure. xlr jacks, and the sweepable mids really come in handy. The display is much nicer too. Plus I thing that it has better tape heads. I think you can individually out all four tracks too. I've never used this feature. I It has auto routing (99% sure, but don't quote me). Although you have to be careful with panning to avoid channel bleed. I've used both. It has noise reduction hidden on a switch in the back. I think that it sucks the life out of the high end. I've wondered why things sound crappy for hours, then realize I have noise reduction switched on.

Anyway I could say; save up a few more dollars and go digital, but I'm not so sure after my own experience.
Good luck.

Jet rocker.

Back