FOSTEX MR8: ONLY for guitarists who DON'T use Amp & Mics to record, and USE V-AMP 2

crgl

FOSTEX MR8: ONLY for guitarists who DON'T use Amp & Mics to record, and USE V-AMP 2

NOTE: I know many of you use your Favorite Amp + Shure SM-57 to record but this post is for the ones who record direct to the MR8 and use the V-Amp 2 or simmilar to record. I cannot use microphones and amp for two reasons: I live in an apartment building, I record mostly at night, my amp is crappy (Peavy Audition 20). Later I will sound proof a 5' by 5' closet and experiment with that but for now I want to use the equipment I have to get the best recording I can and I have heard good recordings using the V-Amp2.

EQUIPMENT:

Ibanez Artcore TM-71 ( semi-hollow, humbuckers )
Fostex MR-8
Behringer X V-Amp ( amp modeler simmilar to V-Amp 2 )

Hi:

When I first bought the Fostex MR8 I thought I could get a decent recording just by plugging direct my Artcore guitar into the recorder.
I had to turn the gain knob almost completely to the right to get a good volume for recording.

Then I bought a amp modeler+effects unit ( Behringer X V-Amp , similar to V Amp 2 ). I know this is a cheap unit but I am satisfied with how it sounds through the headphones.

The problem I have is recording this same sound on the MR8.

Then some people in this forum told me that it is not sufficient with the Amp modeler and that almost everyone here uses a mixer to record in the MR8.

Other postings refer to things like: Preamps, Direct Boxes and Mixers

I am confused on what to use to record.

I want to know what you use to record direct and have given you good results, preferably if you are using the V Amp-2 or X V-Amp.

Thanks

Last edited:
Buy yourself a Sansamp GT2 by Tech 21...

Hey.

I love to record direct to my VF-16 with my Sansamp GT2 by Tech 21. One of the best pieces of equipment I have ever purchased. I also use it live as preamp for both bass and guitar.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/gt2.html

3 types of tube amp emulation, 3 types of speaker cab simulation, EQ, 3 different amp "mods" for each amp type. Sure, it's no POD or V-Amp, but it sounds great at what it does.

Hope that helps.

ray

I am after the Tech21 programmable bass DI myself. To be honest though, DI'ing a bass doesn't give you the same problems as DI'ing a guitar. I don't have it posted, but I will: I recorded a song mic'ing my amp, and as an after thought, I put a lead on it by DI'ing the guitar into the MR-8 and using its onboard effects. I had so much trouble getting the DI'd guitar to just fit in the mix, let alone getting it to sound good. I was tempted to just delete that track and mic my amp and try again. Time kept me from doing that, and I still cringe when I listen to that song.
I know that some people have had success with using amp simulators, but even if I use a guitar processor, it's not the same as mic'ing my amp. I have DI'd all the guitars on a song before, and it helps in trying to get them sit in the mix, but you can immediately tell they were DI'd.

Edit: I haven't tried using my mixer and guitar processor yet. If I get time, I will record a track to post here so you can hear it.

How do you plug your guitar signal into your MR-8?

Does the MR-8 have a dedicated "hi-z" guitar input?

If not, and you're simply going right into one of the 1/4" inputs with your guitar signal, then you're going to need some sort of preamp before going directly into the MR-8 (or any mixing board, for that matter). That's where the Sansamp comes in; plus, the speaker cab simulation is pretty amazing.

Regardless, the preamps on any of these all-in-one Fozzies (my VF-16 included) are not the greatest. That's why lots of people use external preamps (like my ART Tube MP V3 studio, a great little box for vocals, bass, guitars, etc. for about $100). Bumps up the signal without increasing the noise - that's the point of a good preamp.

HTH,

ray

rboyce_boston said:
Does the MR-8 have a dedicated "hi-z" guitar input?

If not, and you're simply going right into one of the 1/4" inputs with your guitar signal, then you're going to need some sort of preamp before going directly into the MR-8 (or any mixing board, for that matter). That's where the Sansamp comes in; plus, the speaker cab simulation is pretty amazing.

Regardless, the preamps on any of these all-in-one Fozzies (my VF-16 included) are not the greatest. That's why lots of people use external preamps (like my ART Tube MP V3 studio, a great little box for vocals, bass, guitars, etc. for about $100). Bumps up the signal without increasing the noise - that's the point of a good preamp.

HTH,

ray
The 1/4" input is switchable between "mic/line", "built-in mic", and guitar. But, like you said, the pre amps are crap. I use my mixer as a pre amp right now, and I've been goofing with the different processors I have. They need a pre amp too, or the signal is just too weak to record...

Back