Fostex D2424LV backup question

jonhale

Hi All,
Here is my first post so I am hoping you guys can help!.

I have just bought a D2424LV (second hand for about half the retail price).
I am replacing two D80's in my setup with this to get better quality and an all in 1 box solution. My question is around backup.
There is a ethernet card option for this; anyone got it or used it?; how much?

I could fit a second IDE drive I think and just back up to that. (it is not that important for me to remove the media since use is just for me and my band)

There is a DVD ram drive option.. This I am guessing could be expensive and I wonder if you have to use the fostex supplied Panasonic, or maube a pioneer would be compatable.

Also, I guess I could use removable scsi; bit more expensive than a second drive but I guess does the same thing and maybe could edit wavs on the pc this way?.

So, has anyone done this DIY to their machine; I dont really want to take this in to be done since I actually work with computers and think I could do the upgrade myself (I am hoping the IDE cable is either standard or has A and B on it).

Anyway, sorry for all the Q's just want to get the most out of it!...

Cheers

jonhale said:
Hi All,
I could fit a second IDE drive I think and just back up to that. (it is not that important for me to remove the media since use is just for me and my band)
Cheers

My understanding is the D2424LV has a great reputation. I do not own one however.

Why not just install an extra HD? That may be the most cost/storage effective way to go.

Upgrade done...
Installed a western digital WD800JB 80 Gbyte drive into the space under the caddy using an ordinary 5.25 mounting kit for a PC. Connected the cable to the second IDE socket and plugged in power.

Didnt work initially but after a call to some very friendly chaps at SCV london, it was sorted by taking the little jumper plug off the drive (used normally to select master/slave/cs etc).

It is now backing up drive 1 to drive 2 (but I suspect will take a couple of hours since I have 8 programs on the disk!).
Much quicker than dat anyway and the upgrade cost me £55 for the drive.

Full marks to SCV london, tech support was instant!..

Hi Jonhale,.i have added a 2nd drive and backed up all data on drive 1 , but as i record extra tracks on a new song recording can i add these to the same song on drive2 and can you explain how to do it please?.thanks,ted.

Ummm, jonhale posted 9 years ago and hasn't been back since. Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

Some people here use standalone recorders but not many, so probably shouldn't expect an answer. Hopefully you can find what you're looking for on a Fostex forum.

Good luck,

Hello All! I just got a D2424LV that had no hard disk with it. Got a Western Digital IDE Hard Drive WD800 and still get a No Drive Message!! I did download a Owners Manual on line and I am trying to get this unit up and running. Do I need a 8 pin jumper on this hard drive to make it work or do I need the Hard drive to be programed with Fostex Data? I have ben out of recording for quite some time now and trying to get back up and running with this new unit!! Please Help!!

Back