Fostex A8 reasonable price for a fix up?

jahlijah.man

Hey guys, I'm new to home recording as a user, but have seen how helpful you guys are with your vast sea of ancient knowledge. Well basically this guy isn't negotiating his "broken" Fostex A8 any lower than $200. everything works except the play button so I am assuming it might be the capstan belt. this would be my first fix it project and first reel to reel. the reason it caught my eye is because Mac Demarco recorded his albums "2" and "salad days" on an A8 which sound (and I can't emphasize enough) absolutely beautiful. But I also heard some mixed reviews about it, and I would obviously rather get a Tascam 388 but I don't really have the funds for $1,800.

None of that stuff is, really, worth consideration unless you have evaluated the heads. I, generally, stay away from multi-track tape ( doesn't mean I don't want them all). I look though the offerings and one day an Angel appeared and said; "recent new heads". $100 + $41.70 ship

None of that stuff is, really, worth consideration unless you have evaluated the heads. I, generally, stay away from multi-track tape ( doesn't mean I don't want them all). I look though the offerings and one day an Angel appeared and said; "recent new heads". $100 + $41.70 ship

ohh I see. may I ask why you stay away from multi-tracks? also I would be looking at it in person. it is a long drive to be honest though. anything to look out for? how do I know if the heads are in good condition? can they be cleaned?

Multi-track tape. I love the same in disk recorders. Just ask him to provide a PIC of the heads. Sellers with good heads will usually make that their #1 selling point. It is also true that the seller may have no idea what a head is.

Attachments

• 2340_crop_1024.jpg
    2340_crop_1024.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 1
this guy is being real weird about selling this thing to me. I'm probably just going to focus on fixing my Tacsam 244 for now. thanks for the information!:thumbs up:

Just joined, long term member of a tape forum who fixes these things for a living.

Don't touch an A8 that isn't fully functional apart from things that are easy swaps (belts, meter lights are about it, as the small mechanical parts, which often fall off A series, are very hard to locate.

Top concern is the transport control system, which is very good, but very complicated based on an early LSI logic chip.

Audio path at least has a nice rack of cards you can swap easily to troubleshoot, so next it's heads and motors.

TEAC 4 channel would be a better bet, very reliable and easy to support, providing the heads haven't been ground into the dirt

Back