Fostex 1/4" 8-track users (A8, Model 80, R8)

Man, this place is pretty lonely. Not many people wanting to talk about Fostex stuff haha! Personally, I love the older analog Fostex stuff. From the sound (great to pretty bad), to the look (gray and orange make awesome!), finding a well taken care of Fostex 8-track is one of life's great experiences. I just wanted to start a thread and talk about these forgotten and marginalized machines. I've always rooted for the underdog, and Fostaex was always the red headed step-child to Tascam and deservedly so mostly. Fostex cut corners where Tascam didn't, and their stuff didn't hold up as well but like I said, there's pieces out there that were either rarely used or babied and I've been lucky to find a couple of them.

I got a Model 80 with almost 90% head life left on it. Of course, the LED's are a mess, with many burnt out but it runs and sounds great. I found a 250 (the first 4-track they ever released) in mint condition that came with the flight case with the orange Fostex logo on the grey wood. Lastly, I also found an A8, but it's not in the best condition. It has one channel that's messed up and doesn't RW that strong. All it's VU meters light up though! Anyways, I love talking about these things so if there's anyone out there with one let's see it, and hear what you've done with it.

I started my studio back in 1983 With the Fostex A8 that recorder open a lot of studios. Iv always had my studio in the basement did my own thing, word of mouth. I have always worked out of my home. It what I do for a living.
Here is a link to a video loop shot in my first studio back in 91 but the song playing was cut on the Fostex A8 in 1987 I was able to transfer it over to my Roland 2480 to edit and remix it in 2015. Hope y'all enjoy. John Bass
Arctic Sound Studios - Media

Yea I bought the A8 used hade a lot of miles the trainport didnt want to rewind to well sent it in for repair when came back it was great ,Later got the A80 bought the 4050 Auto locater remote for the 8 and 16 track to sinc with midi keyboards then bought the E16 after that bought the Roland VS880 I ran that with the 16 track then bought the Roland VS1680 and Later got the VS2480 been using it for about 18 years I have proTools and I will mix if I get a project in that has tons of tracks But the Roland VS240 Is my main recorder hands down. Love it and it has never let me down. If Roland was coming out with a new one I would be the first one at there door to buy it. I do have a chance to buy my Fostex 16 track back. Im thinking about maybe trading Just to have it.
I remember when I went to all digital my 13 yr old son said it wasn't going to look like a studio anymore. Lol hes right something about watching those reels turn just like a turntable.

Back