Fostex 1/2" REEL to REEL

studiodrum

Hey Guys,
I was just wondering if Fostex ever built aN 8 Track, 1/2" Reel to Reel recorder (other than the 16 track E-16), . .and if so, what models were they. . . Also, how is the sounds quality of the Fostex 1/4" Reel recorders, compare to other brand 1/4" recorders ?

I have been using a Tascam 238 for recording demo stuff, and was toying with the idea of buying an older Fostex 1/4" reel recorder. . . and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. Thanks guys!

As far as I know Fostex never produced an 8-track on half inch. They certainly prodiced a range of 8-tracks on quarter inch. I used to own an A8 (8track playback, record 4 tracks simultaneously). The quality was very good, much better than the '8track-on-cassette' of the Tascam 688 midistudio which replaced it (similar to your 238 in recording hardware). If you change to 1/4" you will notice the increase in quality, but you will need to get used to threading reels of tape.
Personally I'm now on a Fostex VF160, and I'm not going back!

Orc

The 238 is a nice unit, considering it's 8-tracks onto cassette.

Fostex made some pretty decent 1/4" 8-tracks. The A-8, A-8LR, Model 80 and R-8, all running 7" reels, while the bigger E-8 handled 10.5" reels.

Fostex never made a 1/2" 8-track.

For 1/2" 8-track, your basic models would be the Tascam 38 and TSR-8.

There are other 1/2" 8-tracks, like Otari, but I'm not familiar enough to comment on them.

Back