FD8 Skipping on playback?

supercharged

I have a problem with my fd-8. Sometimes on playback, it gets stuck and repeats over and over. I have to stop it and start it again. Anyone else encounter this?

External or internal drive?

I had orb nightmares and finally sent the fostex to fostex for an internal drive installation.

My problems went beyond skipping and into audio destruction.

Good luck.

-Jett Rocker

I'm using a 1 gig jaz drive with it. I'm also looking for a good cost effective way to do 8 tracks at a time. any ideas?

I'd really consider getting an internal installed. Unfortunately you can't do it yourself, because fostex didn't install the connectors on the machines sold with out drives.

But once you have them install the first drive (2.5inch notebook), you can swap internal drives yourself. Probably cheaper than the cost of jazz disks anyway. Maybe use the jazz drive for backup.

Orb drives look good in theory: Some people here have had good luck with them. Not me. One ate my songs, the next started on fire. (I got my money back)

It seems to me that the ssci connection sucks on the fd-8. The only drive that fostex actually approves is a mac formatted zip 250. So much for media independent. Actually I bitched so much and over a period of months, that fostex actually installed my hd for free, so I can't complain.

Good Luck

-Jett Rocker

Mine came with a SYQUEST Zip. A real load of crap. It skipped quite a bit.
I've had good luck with the IOMEGA Zip 250. PEACE- kmar

Skipping

I have an FD-4 that's the little sister of the FD-8. They both use the same drives. I've got an ORB 2.2gig and right away it started skipping. Not being a quiter I started messing around with the thing. Some of the others here know what I did but I'll go over it again. I finally tried a termanator and it worked. Now you shouldn't have to do this because you only have the one drive, so much for shouldn't. It's been working fine every sence so try that. I'd try to brower one first because I think they sell for about $30.00 or so. Hope I was of some help...
Later, Donny!!!

I have an external 6 gig hard drive I use and it does skip and freeze on me somewhat often. It is really annoying - I have to turn the drive off and on again to get it to work. It really sucks when I am playing something for somebody and it skips -- which it seems to do every time. Maybe I should consider the internal drive, it would be a cleaner set up. But, I am migrating to a computer based system soon so I don't know if it will be worth the cost.

Jet-Rocker - do you know how much the internal option costs for the drive itself and the installation?

Well, I decided to sell the fd-8, partly due to this problem, and also because of it's inability to record 8 tracks at a time. I know I could get it to do 8, but I honestly don't think it's worth the extra cash.

Termanator

Adam, try using a termanator on your drive. I know you shouldn't need it because you only have the one drive. I tried one just for the heck of it and I haven't had a skip sense. I think they sell for around $30.00 US but check with your friends maybe you can barrow one to try it. I just happend to have one laying around. Makes life a little nicer... Later, Donny!!!

Thanks Donny. I have one on there already and it happens all the time unfortunately. I am guessing it is an FD8 scsi port issue and not the drive. Can't wait until I switch to computer so at least I will have back up data.

Okay!!!

Okay Adam, well I tryed. All I know is it worked for me.. Like you I'm going to start using one of my computers just for recording and use my FD-4 for live recording. It still beats taking your system apart and setting it up all the time. Gotta get a better sound card with more ins and outs. First gotta save some more $$$ I like to pay cash for everything. Good luck later, Donny!!!

I think for a 4 gig, it costs a little over $200. I don't know for sure. The price is kind of high, but after it's done then you can swap 2.5 drives at your leisure.

Call or email fostex. Eventually, although sometimes you have to keep on them, someone will get back to you.

-Jett Rocker

Back