coneecting my computer to fostex vf 160 by optical leads

muse23

i have got to a point where i go in to set up on my fostex vf 160 to load program it asks me to select anolog adat or spdif i select spdif thats what i have on my sound card then i go through the rest of the steps until it say play on external device then wait a couple of seconds and it comes up with error loading program! i am trying to get a drum track from reason on to my computer! i can do this by burning cd's but it's so wasteful there must be a way to do it optically please any help would be greatly appreciated! thanx

You can only load a programme via optical if you have already saved it from the VF.

If you must go via SPDIF the only way I know is to play the track out of the PC and into the VF - recording on the VF.

You can't sync the VF to the PC cos' Reason has no MIDI out.

I transfer from Reason via Zip. Wouldn't a rewritable CD achieve the same thing?

'Orc

VF and Reason second thoughts

I was messing about with Reason at the week-end, and I sync'd it to the VF!
Reason has midi in, which means it can sync with the VF, if the VF is master.
The sound output from the PC was analogue so not brilliant (cheap soundcard) but if I could bring it out on SPDIF, like muse suggests, I could record it to two tracks of the VF.
Nice One, Muse!

Now all I need is an SPdif interface.
Any suggestions?

'Orc

PC to VF connection

As far as I know you need the MIDI link to transmit song information (tempo, song position) because the optical can't do this. Optical sync is about sync'ing digital sound data, I think.

Thanks for the UA1D info - I'll check it out!

'Orc

48 kHz S/PDIF output

Can you actually use the Edirol UA1D interface for S/PDIF transfers to the VF? The Edirol receives at 44.1 kHz but does it only transmit at 48kHz? This should cause a problem with the VF, n'est-ce pas?

Paj
8^?

VF to PC

Paj is absolutely correct: I even emailed Roland to check. They confirm that the output of the UA1D is fixed at 48kHz. I could send optical data from VF to the PC but not from PC to VF (which is what I want to do).
However my surfing has turned up another possibility: the M Audio (aka Midiman) transit. Optical in/out, and analogue. Retails here in England for about £70(GBP).
More later.

'Orc

M-Audio Transit

Carelessroc:

Make sure that 44.1 KHz transmission/reception is available in the unit.

Paj
8^)

Transit

Carelessorc:

Nice find! I have three different M-Audio interfaces (and a mic preamp). Each works well and is an inexpensive problem solver. The only minor difficulties I've had is (1), an unusual Plun-N-Play installation sequence and (2), sometimes the device must be disabled from Windows when you are accessing old, DOS-based programs that share sound-card resources (like, for example, your favorite old video game). Neither one of these is really a problem.

Good luck!
Paj

P.S.: Are you are aware that S/PDIF transfers are in real time and limited to two tracks at a time? I guess that you don't have the CD-RW installed.

SPDIF to VF

Paj
Thanks for the pointers. You're right about S/PDIF backup - used it once, and lost the will to live, it took so long.
I usually back up via internal CDR. As I mentioned above I really want the interface to bring Reason audio out of my PC to the VF. I have been doing this by importing WAV files by internal CD or external Zip (I have both), but it would be more convenient to bring it 'live' from the PC.
Once I have the interface (I'm picking it up tomorrow!) I will experiment using it for multitracking (in N-Track) and for recording stereo mixdowns (I decided to stop using internal mixdown some time ago. Currently I use an external CD recorder).

The other thing I'm wondering about is, down the line, if I move all my multitracking to PC, what are the options for connecting the Vf to the PC by ADAT? (I'm assuming I could use the VF as an audio front-end).

'Orc

ADAT

ADAT transfers are in real time but 8 channels at a time (44.1kHz) and usually 4 channels at a time for 96 kHz.

Paj
8^)

Back