Cakewalk and VR800

Rish

I have the VR800/VM200 combo. Right now all I'm trying to do is get the VR800 to respond (SMPTE/MTC Sync) to cakewalk. So far I have been able to get the recorder to start playing however the accociated MIDI file does not play, it still displays a message saying 'Escape to cancel....waiting for 30 frame (non-drop) SMPTE/MTC' I'm not sure if my MTC setting on either cakewalk or the VR800 are wrong. I have in this case set the VR800 to slave ON and Off. The results are the same.

If anyone has some ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Edited by Rish on 10-24-2000 at 14:38]

Rish, I am about to put the same system to work. Have the VR800 already and the VM200 is on the way from Sam Ash. I use Cakewalk ProAudio 9.0, too so I will see if I can get it all to slave. I will let you know.

My more pressing need will be to get the Cakewalk Console view to lock to the VM200 so that I can record my mixer movements and have them play back. That is the ideal situation that I have been looking for... being able to have true automation. I did have Studio Mix for a while but I found that I really wanted to record music with no computer. The mouse and the display all seemed to be a nuisance.

For All,

Midi Sync Cakewalk with the VR800

Cable the MIDI in's and out's.....etc...

Cakewalk Setup:
Open Cakewalk project - mid or wrk file.
Set devices to : whatever you have you cables set up on. e.g. SB Live! MIDI in and SB Live! MIDI out!
Click on 'Move selected devices to top'.
Click ok.
--I have a Roland SC 88 Pro. I put the Roland Serial MIDI out A & B to the top and SB Live! MIDI out towards the bottom. It doesn't matter how this is configured provided you know that you may not have the correct parts set in your MIDI file (so check those MIDI too)..--

To configure MIDI Sync Machine Control :
Click 'Options', click 'project' and click the 'Clock' tab.
Select as the source MIDI Sync and SMPTE/MTC Format to 30 frames non-drop.
--(this you can change as you get more familiar with other gear that you may want to add. There are several standards that manufacturers use; some of these may not have 30 frames).--
On the MIDI out tab, you can check the start/continue/stop/clock and transmit MIDI Song Position Pointer (SPP) - but just to get started, this will not be needed... You should just get it to sync first and then worry about the rest later....

VR800 :
Press setup key.
Use the jog shuttle to take you through the following :
Temposet : Be sure that the tempo set here is the same as you had set for the MIDI file/project. ie. when you set 'beats per minute' on the MIDI file, you may have set it to 120 beats per min. Be sure to set the tempo set on the VR800 to the same.
Preroll : Set to zero - this has something more to do with reel to reel - and is not relevant in this case.
Sync out : This must be set to internal clock as the VR800 is going to be the master in this scenario - and Cakewalk the slave. Therefore, set this to 'clk'.
Framerate : Set this to the same as you have set on the Cakewalk project. In this example, it has been set to 30F. Note on the VR800 the F is not marked very clearly.....
Mtc Offset : This is very important as the VR800 and Cakewalk take some time to sync. Therefore the delay in synchronisation could be up to 5 seconds long. However, after these few seconds have passed, the chase lock connects pretty well though you could still hear the synchronisation slow or speed up. I have it set to 23H 59M 55S 07F 00SF.
Offset mode : Set to ABS.
Slave mode : Set to 'Off' as the VR800 is going to be the master in this scenario.

On Cakewalk Press Play
Once you press 'play', you should see a 'Press ESCAPE to cancel... waiting for MIDI sync' message in status bar (bottom left corner).

NOW press play on the VR800 Recorder....

Note MIDI lights : You can check to see if the MIDI is working properly when you see both Tx & Rx lights showing on the MIDI icon in the right bottom corner of the screen.
---------------

All, you may want to do this with a file that has nothinh in it just to test. That way you can save the project as a template for later use...etc.

I hope that I make sense please let mr know if this has helped you. This is Midi Sync with the VR800 as the Master, Good Luck....Hope this helps!!

Cheers

Back