anyone have a fostex vf160?

capnkid

Optimus Prime
16 track DAW. I can buy one for $200. Would something like this stay compatible with technology for a while?

16 track DAW. I can buy one for $200. Would something like this stay compatible with technology for a while?

It's "CD-DA" quality (16 bit, 44.1 kHz) with TOSlink lightpipe (ADAT and S/PDIF). Each program/song can have 24 tracks but only 16 are "mixable" at any one time. The big advantage to the VF16/160 is that the capability of recording 16 simultaneous channels is built into the VF so that, with the addition of an ADAT preamp like the Behringer ADA8000 (~$200) you can record 16 simultaneous channels or any optical S/PDIF unit (like an ART DPS-II) will allow 10 simultaneous channels of recording. Two setup VF's can be linked via MIDI for a 32-channel simultaneous recording setup. Not many SIABs ("Studios-In-A-Box")offer the >8-channel recording capability, especially inexpensively and in a amazingly tough, small-footprint package. Also, the hard drive is easily swapped in/out with off-the-shelf units in less than five minutes (max usuable format will be limited to ~127 GB)----although it will take about 11 minutes to initially format each GB (that's about a full day of formatting for the maximum usable capacity). No USB or Firewire, though, and ADAT/S/PDIF transfers to computer are in real time. It does export tracks as 16-bit, 44.1kHz mono WAV files, via lightpipe or CD.

I've been routinely using one to record gigs from stage for over five years, tens-of-thousands of hours of operation time and over 3000 CDs from the CD-RW drive. Not a single repair needed and everything still works like new (actually, even better with the software upgrades). I'm a blue-collar guy when it comes to working for my dollars, and I list my VF160 as one of my best live equipment purchases.

You can get more pros and cons at these additional forums:

http://vf16.yuku.com/

http://www.fostexusa.com/mercuryboard/index.php?a=forum&f=32

If you're only going to record one or two channels at a time, there are other SIABs that offer 24-bit 44.1kHz recording, and computer interfaces that offer 24-bit 96-192 kHz recording---all of which can offer improved sound quality. There are also small, portable two-track recorders (like the Zoom H4) from Tascam, Edirol, Olympus, etc., that offer great live two-track or stereo recording from their built in mics or from mixer signals. I would say that, at $200, the VF would be virtually impossible to beat for live multitrack recording.

Paj,
8^)

P.S.: If you don't want it, PM the seller's info.

fostex vf-16 is a great little piece

its amazing to me that a lot of the firewire/usb 2.0 rack interfaces now a-days dont always come with the Lightpipe ADAT in/out.

Even a lot of the digidesign stuff just doesnt have it. M-Audio too.
THERE IS A REASON! they want you to buy two of them.

Not a 100 dollar ADA Converter.

THE FOSTEX VF-16 was WAY ahead of its time. 1400 dollars brand new.
(back in the day)

You can put it in a backpack, you can record perfect wav's files onto it and then output it into any computer based interface (i.e. my Motu 896)

open up Protools, OR APPLE LOGIC (logic rules), SONAR, really ANY computer based recording software with ADAT abilities and BAM.
it was in a backpack... now its on your LCD monitor.

3 band eq. You can make a rough mix, burn a disc, OR TRANSFER YOUR VINYL LP's onto cd without buying a TEAC. on the road, out of a backpack.
switch out the originial 5.1 Gig Crashballs with a 60 gig MAXTOR

GREAT FOR ACOUSTIC RECORDING! BUILT IN EFFETS PROCESSOR and Metronome.

I NEVER EVER GOT THE ADA converter to sync with the ADAT input, therefore I could never actually use 16 inputs.
did anyone else ever get lucky with it ??? i never read the manual. didnt have to... that unit is self explanatory .

...I NEVER EVER GOT THE ADA converter to sync with the ADAT input, therefore I could never actually use 16 inputs.
did anyone else ever get lucky with it ???...

I never had a problem with the VF160 syncing and accepting ADAT I/O, either ADAT or S/PDIF, with a Focusrite Octopre or a Behringer ADA8000. I've even had one or two ART DPS-II preamps spliced into the ADAT stream (a neat feature of the DPS-II) with no problems. I even tried a DMP-3 into the ADAT input through a Behringer SRC2496 via S/PDIF and it worked fine (as did a Behringer VX2496). Just as long as the preamps, etc., were set to 44.1kHz, everything worked fine.

Paj
8^)

I NEVER EVER GOT THE ADA converter to sync with the ADAT input, therefore I could never actually use 16 inputs.
did anyone else ever get lucky with it ??? i never read the manual. didnt have to... that unit is self explanatory .

I've used both a Fostex VM88 and Fostex VM200 mixer to get 16 simultaneous inputs. Works like a charm. ADA shouldn't be any different.

Thumbs Up for the VF16/160

At $200 I would recommend it highly. I've got a VF16 and never had a problem with it. I do mostly live recording with it along with some home recording. I have the Behringer interface and it works well for 16 track simultaneous recording. The only negative in my mind is the very limited low EQ which is a simple boost/cut at a fixed frequency - 400 Hz (kind of unusable at that freq - 200 or lower might have been a better choice but that's just me). The rest are sweepable, but Fostex never updated the low Eq to my knowledge.

Paj's suggestions on considering your needs would be well taken advice. You may be able to find a better recorder quality wise for close to the same price point. For multiple track at once recording the Fostex has everything else beat for the money - at least the current all in ones.

Forgot to check the post date - you've probably already made your decision/purchase. I apologize for my error.

Versatility, versatility

I've found a new use recently for my trusty old VF16 that had been stored away for couple of years when I and five of my colleacues decided to form a band. Before we bought a decent PA system couple of weeks ago we used to rehearse in one of company's conference rooms plugging everything (electric drums, 2x Pod, BassPod, synth, sax and vocals) directly to VF16 and monitoring with headphones powered with a cheap Behringer headphoneamp.

What a great way to rehearse! Just hit the record button and you'll have instant recording of your rehearsals to analyze afterwards. After two months and about 10 rehearsals we were ready to perform a 50 minute gig playing cover songs before a crowd of 300 colleagues which I consider pretty good progress since there were two of us who had never played in a band before yet alone played a gig and two who had appeared just once before an audience of 20 people.

I just can't stop to admire the foresight of those engineers at Fostex who designed the VF16(0) platform ten years ago. What other SIAB of those days has remained so useful for almost 10 years? OTOH I can't understand why they dumped this successful platform instead of updating it with something like USB connectivity, 24bit recording and SSD disk to bring it up to meet the today's requirements.

Fostex 160ex

I have a Fostex at home. Great little device and still trying to learn how to use all the features. Only downside is it is only 16bit but if you can live with that, its a great and cheap way to get into home recording. I will keep mine until I think I'm pretty good at using a SIAB, then probably eventually upgrade to a 24bit SIAB.
On a second note, I did notice someone mentioning upgrading the software. I wasn't aware that you can upgrade the software of the Fostex.. If so, does anyone have the steps that must be taken in order to upgrade it? I bough mine from ebay last year for about $400.00 so $200.00 is a steal!!! I'm just wondering what version I have.. not I'm going to have to look when I get home.

Steve

Last edited:
i am having problems with burning an audio cd through the cd drive on my fostex vf160ex i got it to burn the backup which is one track at at ime on a seperate track of the disk i got it to burn the first track only as an adio, i put the timeslot into the clipboard but when i press the align select it still tells me the clipboard is empty i pressed the internal mixdown/direct record button in conjunction with the shift key and it flashes but i dont think it actually mixed it down i saved the scene and i cant figure it out through the manual does anybody have the knowledge of doing this it would be greatly appreciated. oh yeah and the way i recorded it was by using track 16 as the source through buss recording i reacorded on the first 9 track of the fostex. could this be the issue?

-Systamatik-

Last edited:
Create a mix of your song. That will create a new program with the mix on just tracks 1 and 2. Then burn an audio cd of the mix program. Audio cds only record tracks 1 and 2...

well im still lost

i cant figure out how to create a mix. i kinda gave up and started using audition 1.5 to mix and master with but it seems to add even more backround noise i like the clarity of mixing it directly on the fostex but i cannot figure out how to manage this. how do i create a mix?????????

Search for the manual on the web - it will be there.

Off the top of my head, hold shift and press rec. It will go into mix mode.

Press play and record together.

i cant figure out how to create a mix. i kinda gave up and started using audition 1.5 to mix and master with but it seems to add even more backround noise i like the clarity of mixing it directly on the fostex but i cannot figure out how to manage this. how do i create a mix?????????

Press SHIFT and REC TRK together.( REC TRK has the word "DIRECT' above it, its just under the screen).
INT.MIXDOWN shows on screen.

Press RECORD and PLAY together and mixdown starts. Adjust faders etc as you want. When done press STOP. What you did now shows on the screen as a 2 track mix on a new program number. This can be burnt to CD: Press SETUP and go to SAVE.

If your original starts at say, 3.45mins. It will start there also on your mixdown, so fast forward to get to it.

If you want to do a run thro first press RECORD and PLAY but not together. REC flashes. What you do is not saved.

Hope this helps. Fine device by the way.

Thank you sooooo sooooo much you helped me out alot. i can finally mixdown directly. i was hella bummed when i couldnt figure it out. and that manual is really vague and spread out. but yeah thanks again you have been a huge help i have done three songs on it so far. the computer has its pros but the quality is emensely better directly. and yeah the 160 ex is incredible for 16 bit. i got it for a steal $540 and i use a sterling audio st59 mic. not the best but certainly good. my stuff is only getting better and better. thanks again i appreciate it

Back