V drums and logic

Brohnis

Hello!

I have recently purchased a Roland td-11 v drums kit. Sounds and plays amazing.

Hooked it up to logic with the USB midi and tried playing it through ultrabeat.

Sort of worked...but hasnt mapped properly; hihats are silent in certain places on the pad...the cymbal is a shaker for example. Some things i can move around in ultrabeat but others are unsalvageable.

Snare sounds unnatural and you hear the samples cutting in and out.

Is ultrabeat just not a great drum synth?

Any help will be hugely appreciated

Tim

Your V Drums might not be set up for a General MIDI configuration. You'll probably have to look at the manual to figure out how to remap the drum module so all your pads trigger the sounds you expect them to. In the mean time, the EXS24 sampler has some pretty alright stock drum kits. Maybe look into those -- if those play correctly on your V Drums, then you'll know the problem is with how the Ultrabeat kit is mapped. If they don't play correctly on the V Drums, you'll know you have to remap the V Drums.

Your V Drums might not be set up for a General MIDI configuration. You'll probably have to look at the manual to figure out how to remap the drum module so all your pads trigger the sounds you expect them to. In the mean time, the EXS24 sampler has some pretty alright stock drum kits. Maybe look into those -- if those play correctly on your V Drums, then you'll know the problem is with how the Ultrabeat kit is mapped. If they don't play correctly on the V Drums, you'll know you have to remap the V Drums.

You have the right idea - although I will say - it can be alot easier to build a druimmap in your daw (or download one) than it is to try and setup the vdrums from the front panel...

You have the right idea - although I will say - it can be alot easier to build a druimmap in your daw (or download one) than it is to try and setup the vdrums from the front panel...

Haha, I bet. I've done it myself. But fixing it from the V Drums is a one time thing to make the V Drums compatible with all General MIDI kits. It's either fix it once and for all on the V Drums, or be forced to remap every GM drum kit you ever try to use :D

Haha, I bet. I've done it myself. But fixing it from the V Drums is a one time thing to make the V Drums compatible with all General MIDI kits. It's either fix it once and for all on the V Drums, or be forced to remap every GM drum kit you ever try to use :D

That is a very good point :-) Missed the general midi part.....

Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried the exs24 drums and yeah they work a bit better but I'm specifically having trouble with the hihats and cymbals...basically the pedal hi hat doesn't respond properly and if I hit a cymbal hard then I just get silence...playing around the kit is a bit odd and samples cut in and out.

How does one set up the midi on the Roland module??

Sorry i am a midi noob. Thanks again!!

Another alternative is to pick up a set of Steven Slate Drums samples. They're easily in the top 2 in terms of drum samples (Ocean Way Drums being the other contender for top position), and Roland V-Drums are already mapped to the drum samples.

Back