Using hardware inserts with logic

JG96

So I want to start incorporating hardware units into my mixing process. I some eq/delay/reverb rack gear along with logic pro and a tascam us-800 interface. How would I go about bussing and bouncing tracks with the equipment I have. I have done some research but I am still somewhat confused.

I don't want to knock your idea... however the Tascam has only one set of analog outputs that are mirrored to the headphone output. Thus, in order to set up the correct loop, you won't be able to monitor the signal return from the rack gear.

If you have a unit in your rack with S/PDIF in's and out's, I believe you could use the Tascam's digital outputs to accomplish this, but it's going to be extremely difficult to create a working patch on a unit with a single analog output set.

Essentially, you would need an interface with more output options - e.g. Avid C600 - to create a proper insert loop.

I may be wrong, but are the SPDIF outs on the US-800 seen as 2 separate outputs? i.e main outs = output 1-2, SPDIF = output 3-4?

Also, is there an internal routing option for the US-800? for example, i've got a presonus firestudio mobile and on the universal control (which is the specific software to control the firestudio) i can route any sets of internal outputs to any external outputs i.e. if it's coming out of logic on output 1-2, in universal control i can send logics 1-2 to the presonus output 3-4

If either of the above are true, then there are two ways i can see. The first, and easiest would be to pick up an SPDIF digital to analog converter (such as this) and use that to run stuff to your outboard gear.

the other is more complicated and a pain in the arse and would only work if you can route different internal outputs to different external outputs. it's also long winded so check first and get back to me as i'm very tired and it's a lot to type :)

The interface does in fact have s/pidf ins and outs. Will this converter give me 2 more outputs? If it gave me 2 more inputs in the tracking stage that would also be awesome:D

Last edited:
Yes and yes. I just looked up the US800 manual, and the digital (s/pdif) output is buss 3/4. The digital input is channels 7/8.

You'll need something to convert the s/pdif to analog and back again to accomplish what you set out to do in your original post. Something like a Midiman Flying Cow or similar. I still think it would be easier to accomplish with a larger interface with more I/O's (to avoid clocking issues), but you could pull this off...

To use an outboard rack effect, compressor, etc. in Logic (using the Flying Cow as an example):

* Connect the digital output of your Tascam to the Flying Cow's S/PDIF input, then the FC's S/PDIF output to the Tascam digital input.
* Connect the Flying Cow's stereo analog outputs to the inputs on your rack device, and the rack's outputs to the FC's analog inputs.

In Logic:

* For Compressors or EQ's, set the output of the tracks you want to send to output 3-4. Create a new stereo track called "compressor return" or whatever and set the input to input 7-8 and output to output 1-2. This way, the original music track is sent not to the stereo buss, but to the compressor and the return is routed to the stereo buss. Voila! Your mix now has the outboard signal.

* For Reverbs, leave the output of the track that you wish to send assigned to output 1-2, but also set up a buss send by clicking the little gray box under "sends" and selecting the next available buss. When you do this, Logic will automatically add a channel for that buss called "aux". Change the output on this aux channel to output 3-4, then add your track called "reverb return" or whatever, with input set as input 7-8 and output 1-2. Now, the send level on your original channel controls how much signal is sent to the reverb, and you can mix the reverb's return with the original track.

Awesome! I never quite understood S/PDIF but now that you have explained it it seems like this upgrade of sum sorts to my interface will come in quite handy. I assume this will also make re-amping a possibility. Right?

The midiman flying cow would be cool as you wouldn't need to worry about taking up any extra inputs on the Tascam, but the little lindy thing works grand just going one way (SPDIF out of the tascam to analog in's on whatever gear) and then just plug the output of the gear into one of the the available line in's on the tascam.

The route kineticsound laid out is the one i use the majority of the time, baring in mind that if you want to use the outboard gear on another track then you need to record the results back in to logic (and time aligning them) before moving on to the next one. i.e if you use an outboard comp on the snare and then want to use the same comp on the kick, record the compressed snare track back into logic first and the readjust the outputs so that the kick is sent to the snare.

The other way is to use Logic's I/O plugin, as described here. this is especially useful for effects on the stereo bus or using outboard reverbs, again remembering that once you're ready to bounce the track you have to bounce in real time

Yeah I have a single yamaha spx 90 II. Along with a TC electronic delay of some sort but only one of each. I will most likely just be using them on vocals so I will most likely bounce a completely wet signal of each to be blended in. New Digital Optical Coax Toslink to Analog Audio Converter US Shipping | eBay would something like this work on the way in and vice versa on the way out. These seem really cheap but if they are going to give me issues with latency I will most likely get the flying cow or the lindy.

Yeah - that little box will work. You can run the return to a pair of inputs on the Tascam. Since you'll be printing the return to a recorded track, you can correct any latency issues by shifting the track up a few m/s as JSG points out above.

If you want to expand the inputs on the Tascam by using an A/D converter, you'll want something of better quality. Flying Calf or a preamp with an A/D converter like an ART DPS-II or DBX 386.

Interesting. Do I need a high quality A/D converter for the sake of the preamps? or will a cheap one introduce other issues? I have a 8 channel mixer with a line level direct out for each channel so I can utilize the preamps on that.

I just meant that you wouldn't want to use one of the little cheap converter boxes for the rack gear return -- assuming you want to run the return to your S/PDIF input on the Tascam and pick up two extra channels. You can use a cheapo box to turn S/PDIF into analog (to get it out of the Tascam and into your rack gear), but if you want to return to the S/PDIF input, get something with good quality converters.

The preamps are irrelevant. I was only using the two preamps I listed as examples of units with decent A/D converters built-in.

Or... you can just run the returns to the Tascam analog inputs if you want.

Back