System overload/freeze

FromtheSOUTH

So, logic 9 express.

Every once in a while, we get the system overload message. Usually, it just stops whatever it was doing at the time (playback, recording, etc) and it 'corrects itself' and I go on my merry way.

But sometimes, it freezes and I'm left hoping that I saved my work...

It happens every time I use the multiband compressor plugin (supplied with logic), and click that little arrow at the left bottom corner that opens up a dropdown menu. Click, system overload, oh #$%&!! (I don't really use the MB comp, but I noticed this and felt I had to investigate... every time I click that little arrow, logic freezes.)

Occasionally it will happen randomly, but usually it's triggered by a plugin, and with the exception of the aforementioned anomaly (gotta love alliteration) its completely random.

We've upgraded our Mac recently in the hopes that it would stop, but it still continues...

Now, its pretty rare, so not a huge deal, just annoying when I have to redo my work.

Any suggestions?

Hiya
+1 to DarrenVocal's suggestion.

For Logic (and any DAW), the more RAM, the better.
Max out the laptop with whatever it will hold.
For a tower, go for 12GB or more.
The graphics and things happening in all the plugin windows and channels need lots of memory.

Dags

Gotcha.

I'm pretty helpless when it comes to computers, especially macs.

But like I said, its a pretty rare problem. Why does it need all that ram anyway?

Gotcha.

I'm pretty helpless when it comes to computers, especially macs.

But like I said, its a pretty rare problem. Why does it need all that ram anyway?

Hi again
The operating system uses a certain amount of RAM for base-level processes. (Ask any windows user about how RAM-hungry their PC is) so whatever is left over is available for your open applications.
More RAM will increase the performance of your DAW and will allow you to have more of those lovely RAM-hungry plugins open. Soft synths will chew up a load of memory just by having the instrument inserted, even if it isn't actually playing anything.

Dags

Back