sync issuse

kevinfellows85

Hello fellow engineers
I am having a little trouble trying to sync my logic express 8 on my macbook up to Cubase SX3 on my pc. I have an m-audio midi sport 2x2 usb going to my mac with a midi cable running to my m-audio delta 10-10lt sound card on my pc.
I is pretty self explanatory how to send MMC and MTC out cubase through this port and it looks like logic is receiving some information. I have also looked at the synchronization set up in logic and set it all to receive mtc. However the time code starts and stops when I start cubase, but seams to cycle through frames and never changes the seconds (the play head does not move). The frame rate and sample rate are the same in both projects.
I have also tried this the other way around with slaving cubase to logic but even less results with that.
Ideally I want cubase to be the master as it has my delta 1010lt and I have a lovely Korg M3 hooked up to logics environment to do some weird and wonderful things and only want logic to send control messages in sync with the project.

any ideas? thanks..

5 days, 5 long days... [since you posted] -- the silence is killing me. So to break the silence, I guess I'll confess that I have no idea how to fix the problem :D Do you have any other midi interfaces you can try to see if the excercise provides any more information?

I can only offer sympathy. I too have experienced difficulties in getting a device to drive Logic. I have managed it on occasions, but each time (and there have only been a few) I can't remember what I did to get there (beause each time I was experimenting and trying a whole mess of things).

I most often get them same results as you.

The moral of the story is that it can be done (as you would expect), but it seems highly idiosyncratic and not at all intuitive. The manual doesn't help either!

Hello fellow engineers
It is pretty self explanatory how to send MMC and MTC out cubase through this port and it looks like logic is receiving some information. I have also looked at the synchronization set up in logic and set it all to receive mtc. However the time code starts and stops when I start cubase, but seams to cycle through frames and never changes the seconds (the play head does not move). The frame rate and sample rate are the same in both projects.
I have also tried this the other way around with slaving cubase to logic but even less results with that.

As others have stated, my sympathies as well. It sounds like everything is setup properly and yet, no dice.

Have you tried varying the frame rate of the project? I can recall working in CW Pro-8 prior to Logic, and while 30d & 30nd were there as options, it didn't want to sync to anything but 25 frames. Higher frame rates are supposedly more accurate, but you might have more luck getting a slower frame rates to lock up.

David

Ah thanks anyways guys.. I have not fixed the problem yet, but been on a little holiday to Munich so I will give it another bash tonight with a clear head.. Maybe I have missed something. I will let ya know how it goes.

Back