Send "Bussing" in Logic

KineticSound

The VOICE
So here I am adjusting to producing music on my computer... I'm working in Logic 8 on my Mac.

I'm trying to understand the effect bussing. Essentially, it appears that to use a "group send", I'm assigning a post fader signal to a buss, and then applying an effect plugin as an insert on the buss, which is then routed back to the stereo buss... is this correct? I've been a bit confused as I'm playing around with the assignments, since Logic just pops up whatever effect buss I'm sending signal to...

Im sorry, are you using plugins or hardware effects? Plugins, you can insert on each channel directly.

Plugins... but not as an insert; as a group send - e.g. I want to use a common plate reverb across five vocal tracks in a send/return fashion so that I can manipulate (eq) the return.

The inserts for compression, eq, etc. seem pretty straightforward. It's when I'm wanting to send multiple tracks to a common effect loop that my head spins. :rolleyes:

This is what I would do:

1. Go to your mixer view.

2. On your 5 vocal tracks change the output (default is output 1-2) on each track you want to Send to No Output.

3. Then I would select all 5 vocal tracks (click and drag across the tracks to select them all at once).

4. Once all 5 vocal tracks are selected, send all 5 tracks to Bus 1 (or 2 or 3...) Just make sure your sending all 5 tracks to the same Bus.

5. After all 5 tracks are bussed out, turn the small volume knob (next to where it says Bus 1) for each track up to wherever you need it.

6. Now all 5 tracks are bussed out to a track that will be called Aux 1 by default. Turn the volume up on Aux 1, rename it, add effects, and make sure it's output on the aux track is set to Output 1-2 (or whatever you default output is).

I hope that wasn't too confusing, and I hope that is what you needed.

Also, if you want to individually pan the 5 vocal tracks you will have to go back to where it says Bus 1 on each of your vocal tracks, click and hold on Bus 1, and select Post Pan (I think that's what it's called...there are three choices, Post, Pre and the other one.. you want the other one).

And if you still want to hear the dry signal of your vocal tracks, skip step 2 altogether. You'll then be able to adjust the dry signal with the individual track faders, the entire effect volume with the Aux fader, and the individual effect volumes with the little volume knob next to Bus 1.

Baker,

Reps to you. This is exactly what I needed. As you state, my modus operand would be to skip step 2, as I still want the original signal in my chain, blended with the aux signal.

Thanks much!

Not a problem!

And remember that you can automate the sends too (individually). You
could get some cool effects just by simply doing that.

Back