Outboard compressors and Logic

guitar zero

c = b#
Just bought a book on Logic so I could figure out how to take my tracks and run them through a de-esser, or compressor, or EQ etc. We want to record everything dry, then process later, but there's not a word in the entire book about how to do this. It only covers using plug ins, no external signal processors. Does anyone know of a good resource so I can figure this out? You can do this in Logic right? I'm trying to avoid the logic manual which is the size of a small phone book, and obviously written by some techy geek.

It's a plugin in the Utility folder called I/O, (at least I think that's it on my system). Works fine for me. Makes me wish I had some decent outboard gear :D

It's a plugin in the Utility folder called I/O, (at least I think that's it on my system). Works fine for me. Makes me wish I had some decent outboard gear :D
Thank you. I've only got two channel apogee I/O, but that should be enough if I do one channel at a time, right?

one stereo channel? two mono? yes. Or is that one in and one out of the Apogee? I just saw your unfilled lunchbox in that thread above -- you're way ahead of me on outboard stuff :D

Inside the mixer in logic, you can use the buss to send out (rout through) your outboard stuff, and back in on an input to a different channel. Im not sure how you assign what comes out of the ensemble(what I assume you have). I saved presets for channels I always run out, with the output assigned and set to the right level going out of the correct output of my firepod.

Inside the mixer in logic, you can use the buss to send out (rout through) your outboard stuff, and back in on an input to a different channel. Im not sure how you assign what comes out of the ensemble(what I assume you have). I saved presets for channels I always run out, with the output assigned and set to the right level going out of the correct output of my firepod.
It's actually a Rosetta 200, but same difference I imagine. Is assigning a buss to the outputs different than the I/O routing antichef was talking about, or a different way of saying the same thing?

Assigning a buss to the outputs is different from what I was saying. The I/O plugin is worth trying, since I think it has latency correction and is pretty simple to access. Learning how to work with busses is very good to do, though, and will allow you to run several but not all tracks through an outboard device, which might be desirable. My method is either one track at a time, or on the output strip (which is probably all tracks, since they're routed that way by default)

Antichef, thanks for your replies. I think I've got it. My son moved to CA and took all my cables, so as soon as my new ones arrive, I'll try it out.

Good luck GZ - I envy you! As genesisariana says, "Money is no object", but it's often the subject of my discussions with Mrs. Chef :D - so no Apogee in my near future :(

I didn't have any money either, so I sold my fishing boat to buy more gear. It's tough when recording comes pitted against fishing. This year, fishing lost.

Back