Opening Pro Tools Files in Logic

iownrocknroll

I have a client who is requesting all of his audio files at the end of our sessions.

He would like them to be in the Logic format.
Has anyone ever converted a pro tools session and wave files to a format logic can work with?

Give him a DVD with all the wav files on it.

He can load these into Logic.

He will need to know some metadata, i.e. song tempo, time signature and any tempo change points throughout the song. He will also need to know the start point of each WAV (bar and position) so that he can line them up.

Here are your options as I see them:-

1. Bounce each track down so that all the clips on each track are now one wav starting at offset zero (ie they all line up at the start of the song). Then just give the client all the wavs.

2. Buy DigiTranslator or ProConvert both good products but a little pricey for one off jobs.

3. Convert your session to version 5 (PT5) "Save Copy as".
Send me a copy of your PT5 file (no audio) and I will see if AATranslator will convert it to something usable such as a Samplitude EDL or AES31. I haven't written an export to OpenTL yet which Logic will read only an import from OpenTL. However, in the meantime I can probably use EDLTranslate to convert from AES31 or EDL to OpenTL.

Its a bit of mucking around (I really should finish the OpenTL export but I'm still stuck on OMF2) and no charge for a one off.

Happy to give it a go mate but no promises :-)

Which is what I''d be inclined to do.

However, it depends on the arrangement they have between themselves. I once had a job where I was to do the tracking, and provide the files on DVD to the client who was going to do the mixing (in a different application).

The job was easy because the recording was live, all tracks started at zero, and there was no click track.

Just tell him, No, you own all recordings from the session.

While a valid answer I suspect that you may as well tell him to jam it up his ginger - it will have the same effect :-)

Maybe something a little less inciteful perhaps?

If things like this weren't made clear at the beginning then there is probably no need to inflame the situation.

Something along the line of "sure but you will have to cover my time to bounce these things down".

Probably easier just tell him to jam it - LOL

While a valid answer I suspect that you may as well tell him to jam it up his ginger - it will have the same effect :-)

Maybe something a little less inciteful perhaps?

If things like this weren't made clear at the beginning then there is probably no need to inflame the situation.

Something along the line of "sure but you will have to cover my time to bounce these things down".

Probably easier just tell him to jam it - LOL

Yeah, it was meant to be half tongue-in-cheek and half serious. The OP can take from it what he wants. :)

I've never worked in a commercial studio and only ever did one session, so I have no clue about the legal in's and out's of something like this. But I do know something about copyright laws and I know studios typically claim ownership of the recordings.

Just tell him, No, you own all recordings from the session.

I'm just wondering what would make a studio believe that they "own" the tracks. The studio equipement and someone to make it function was hired and I assume paid for...payment in full ends any further ownership unless you have a management agreement. My plummer doesn't own the pluming in my house...I could go on.

I didn't mean to kill this thread with my sarcasm. I'm a new owner of an Imac and I'm contemplating moving to Logic from PT. Am I correct in assuming that PT session files can't be imported into Logic? My general understanding would be that wave files can be imported but plugins and mix will have to be redone.

Moving from the great PT to Logic?
Now I know you are being sarcastic - LOL

But seriously - no.

Once you have been 'hooked' on PT it is designed so that you pay a hefty price for the priveledge that most other daws have of moving sessions between daws.

PT session files not only do not natively import into other daws (not that I'm aware and certainly not after PT5) but are encrypted to stop any outside assistance in doing so.

ProConvert & DigiTranslator are about the only products which read PT session files after version 5 of PT but they aren't cheap.

Sure you can bounce down all your wavs to complete tracks of the same length starting at zero offset and then drag those wavs into Logic but you lose a lot of flexibility among other things.

Logic can import a number of formats as I recall - OpenTL being one of them. You could create a small test session in PT ('save copy as..') and then try the AATranslator demo it might help.

Good luck either way.

Back