need help

geddy

Hello! First post!

Kind of a long story, but I'll just hit the highlights.

Started making a home studio. I have a Presonus Firebox and a midi controller which has no bearing on this story btw.

I wanted to get a computer to use solely as a music set up, so I bought a pc with vista on it. I also bought Sonar 8 Producer for a daw. Well, I spent a week on trying to get the audio interface to work...with no luck. The computer was sort of an impulse buy...if I had researched it, I would'nt have bought one with Vista on it. I have no problem using the interface with my lap top which has XP media edition on it, but it is my everyday computer and I don't want to start getting things mixed up.

So, I eventually took the computer back and bought an Imac and figured that I could just use Bootcamp with it to run the Daw (I also bought a copy of XP Home and downloaded all the updates). Now, the computer isn't loading the interface again...it sees it, but the light stays red (when it's supposed to turn blue when the unit and the computer is synced).

Funny thing is, is that when I just hooked up my interface while running in Mac OS, I didn't have to install any drivers...it just worked.

I'm at my wits end; I'm contemplating just buying Logic, but I can't figure out a way to justify eating the $500 that I spent on Sonar. I spent some time and effort on presonus' website and tried a few things to get the bootcamp to work, with no luck. And in reality, I really like how the Imac is behaving...it's super stable, even if I don't know how to do much with it yet (it's my first Mac).

What would you all do?

I'm not sure what I would do - I've never seen Sonar. But I use Logic Express, and it's like $200? It's fantastic. It's been about 3 years since I got back into computer based recording, and I've spent about 20 minutes total fussing with drivers (when I went to use two interfaces at once - and after 20 minutes, they've worked fine ever since) - that's got to be worth something.

I appreciate your response!

I just went ahead and bought the Logic Studio and can't wait to see what it's like. It's installing on my mac as I type this...the timer says 'apporximate time remaining about :5 hours 28 minutes'. Yikes!

The price will be well worth it (even what I blew on Sonar) if the thing 'just works'.

Thanks again for your response.

Ps. I went to Boarders to try and find that book that everyone on this board is talking about, but they didn't have it in stock. Would have been cool to see what it's like. I guess I'll have to order one from Amazon.

Patrick.

Just an update...I finally got the instal done. I plugged in my FW Firebox and a window popped up asking me if I wanted to use this device in Logic. I clicked 'yes', and...it just worked :D

No drivers, no device not found, no nothing! I armed a track to record, and, praise the Lord, it just worked.

Now I'm going to work my way through that super gigantic manual.

Although only one person answered my thread (it hasn't been up all that long though), I thank you all, as I've been browsing through alot of your posts and got alot of good info.

Thanks.

I've been using Logic for years and it's a sweet program, would'nt have it any other way but it does take a good amount of time to get used to it and understand it thru and thru. Im sure express is a scaled down version but once you understand it step up to logic 8 you wont be dissapointed.

Back