Move a Few Select Note Events to Another Track

nave

Cave Relic
New to logic. Accustomed to accomplishing this in other programs using the piano roll and pen tool to select the notes I want, copying and then pasting into the piano roll of another track. When I attempt to do this in logic, the paste function in the piano roll of the destination track is grayed out.

Say I want to copy the highlighted notes (black ones with the green trim) in the following screenshot and paste into another track while leaving the rest of the notes behind. What's the easiest way to do this?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-02 at 9.38.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-02 at 9.38.25 PM.png
    488.2 KB · Views: 18
I can't think offhand of why this doesn't work and I'm far away from my home so I can't check for you.
In the meantime, can you copy a section of the MIDI track and paste it onto the new MIDI lane and delete the notes you don't want?
Dags

[edit]...just a thought, maybe you need to create a blank MIDI 'folder' in the new lane to paste the notes into?

I don't use Logic anymore, and I'm starting to fogrget how to do things in it.

However, a relatively easy way is to do this:

1 Copy the whole midi sequence and paste it onto a new track, parallel with the original.

2 Delete the notes you don't want from the first midi sequence

3 Delete the notes you don't want from the second sequence

That's what I've been doing. It doesn't exactly make for the most efficient workflow but I guess I'll live with it for now. Anybody else?

The other way is to select the notes and cut. Create a new midi sequence on a new track. Open it and make sure cursor is at the right spot, then paste.

That's a no-brainer. The problem is that I am only able to paste into the same track from which I copied/cut the material. When I go to paste it in another track, the paste feature is unavailable. Grayed out.

Yeah, me too - in every other program I've ever used. That includes Cool Edit, Sonar, Cubase, Acid, Fruity Loops, Reaper. This is logic 9. Not sure what's going on but I'll work around it until I get an answer or I figure it out.

I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Okay, I just figured it out. Not sure this is the way it's supposed to work, but if so, it's dumb.

In order to successfully copy an event from one track's piano roll to another track's piano roll, the destination track cannot be empty or else the paste feature will be unavailable.

But, as long as there is at least one single note event in the destination track, you can paste whatever you want (in my case, a few select notes from another track) into the new track.

If the destination track is empty, as it had been before I figured this out, it doesn't work. In that case, I can only transfer an entire track's information into the new track.

oh my god that is!!! Dumb!!!! I just switched from sonar 7.02 to logic 9. glad i am reading all this stuff for the "HEADS UP"..

Back