Logic Studio vs Logic Express

crimson_basser

Hey there, I was looking to get some info on these two programs.

What are the main differences between the two?

I know that Studio comes with a bunch of other programs like Soundtrack Pro, etc.

I am correct in assuming that Express does not?

Is the actual sequencer the same in both programs? What about plugins and effects and such?

Basically, if i was to get Express, what would i be missing from Logic Studio?

Logic Studio you get the additional programmes as you mentioned.

The programme itself also has more tools (Or should i say, the Express version has less..).
Express is limited to plug-ins p/track, amount of tracks - little things like that. I couldn't tell you each and every one, i'm sure it's available on the Apple website if you had a look.

The main thing is that both versions come with Delay Designer! :D

I'm using Logic Express 8, and I'm not aware of any built in limitations like number of tracks or number of plugins per track, and I believe the that core components are all the same. The apple sites are good about telling what the differences are.

I'm a home recording person (not professional by any means), but I can say that Logic Express greatly exceeds my requirements, and seems like a real bargain at the price. I also believe you can upgrade to pro (to "studio") from express for a fee that, when combined with the express price, pretty much equals the studio price, so there's no penalty for starting with express and upgrading later (check me on that, but I'm pretty sure it's true).

Express: http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/specs/
Pro: http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/specs.html

Seems i was wrong about the limitations on effects/busses etc - Don't know where i got that idea from. There are a few other differences such as the pro offers much more compositional tools aswell as giving you the opportunity of using Pro Tools hardware.

I'd be interested to see what else is different as they look more-or-less alike apart from the price.

The Battle...

I'm using Logic Express 8, and I'm not aware of any built in limitations like number of tracks or number of plugins per track, and I believe the that core components are all the same. The apple sites are good about telling what the differences are.

I'm a home recording person (not professional by any means), but I can say that Logic Express greatly exceeds my requirements, and seems like a real bargain at the price. I also believe you can upgrade to pro (to "studio") from express for a fee that, when combined with the express price, pretty much equals the studio price, so there's no penalty for starting with express and upgrading later (check me on that, but I'm pretty sure it's true).

They are both amazing software... I have to say

antichef- You are right, you can buy Express for $200 and then Upgrade for another $300

I know Express has tons of stuff... and Studio has even more!

The big difference for me is that Logic Studio is 52gbs, filled with samples, instrument presets and effects. I know that Studio has more effects, and tomes more loops and samples. Also, Studio comes with more programs, the biggest one being MainStage! May I just take a moment to say THAT PROGRAM IS THE SHIT!

I try to explain the difference like this:
-Garageband is like a MacMini- Small, Cute, but not really that functional...
-Logic Express is like one of those new iMacs! They rock! They have power, speed, and an improved metal casing, the do MORE then what you need...
-Logic Studio is like a Maxed out MacPro, WAY more money, but its worth it, you sit down and its like: Holy Shit, Im on a supercomputer! You have WAYYYY More then what you need to begin with but the options are limitless...

This is exactly how it is, Logic Express will do what you need and more, and with Logic Studio, which you can always upgrade to, will give you limitless possibilities! It does bog down your computer a little more though...

Our recording studio has Logic Studio and a MacPro and everything runs fine BUT I feel like even having the studio up and running for almost a year, I haven't even touched the surface of Logic Studio, There is Just so much! But I'm glad, because if you open it up and want something, it's there. Point Blank...

If you are short on money, buy Express, try it out, and then eventually get Studio, but it will be worth it in the long run to upgrade!!! You can always use your Express projects in Logic Pro!

Hope this Helps, I like to talk a lot.

Julien
Recording Engineer @
The Electric Blu Studio
www.electricblustudio.com
Asheville, North Carolina, USA

I dont know how much logic express is but if its more then 150 dollars its not worth it and you should just use garage band or buy logic 8.

I dont know how much logic express is but if its more then 150 dollars its not worth it and you should just use garage band or buy logic 8.

How can you justify your statement? logic express is still logic 8 and is way better software than some other DAW's IMO the 200$ express is def. worth it if your on a tight budget.

Hi folks !!!
Do you know if my BCF-2000 Behringer will work as control surface with Logic Express as well as in Logic Studio ??? I just ordered the Express version, but I'm not sure to get all teh remote function in it...:confused:

They are both amazing software... I have to say

I try to explain the difference like this:
-Garageband is like a MacMini- Small, Cute, but not really that functional...

Wrong. I am also slightly offended by this. I run a perfectly fine studio on two Intel mac mini's using Logic's node feature. I rarely run into any performance issues. I do have to be careful about running too many instances of SpaceDesigner or Software instruments (I can only run 4-6 of each before I get occasional dropouts, but it doesn't really affect me too much)

EVERYONE!

I know it's been a long time and I apologize for the MacMini comment everyone!

I actually have used a fair share of Mac Mini's and they are really wonderful computers, and keep getting faster and faster!

Garageband isn't that bad after all though is it?

Logic Express should work with all the same hardware that Studio does. In fact, it even lists all the same manufacturers for both versions on the web site. It would be rather silly of them to write extra code to block drivers they didn't have to write in the first place.

Back