Logic Pro 8 for live monitoring

cyrustse

Hi guys! I'm currently think about buying a Tascam DM4800 with some add-on cards and preamps or buying 2 MOTU 24I/O for the monitoring system of my rehearsal studio. We're going to buy the Shure PSM400 for In-Ear monitoring but we still can't decide which to buy. Is the latency of Logic Pro 8 low enough for 5 stereo mixes monitoring with 3x inputs?
We've got a Mac Pro 8-core 2.8 with 2 500GB HDD and 8GB of RAM.If Logic works we're going to upgrade the memory to 32GB for better performance.
Thank you for your help.:)

Is the latency of Logic Pro 8 low enough for 5 stereo mixes monitoring with 3x inputs?

Your proposed setup is far more advanced that mine, but I would think that it shouldn't be an issue simply to monitor multiple mixes while recording a manageable number of tracks, provided the host computer can handle it. With 8 processors and 8+ gigs of RAM, you would have to throw a lot of tracks at it before you ran out of horsepower.

Incidentally, if you were to use a 4800 - why not just assign the monitor mixes from there? The 4800 supports multiple headphone/monitor mixes that could be managed on its onboard CPU and not rely on the Mac at all.

One thing I can attest to is that Logic seems to play very well with Tascam boards. I've been using a Tascam conrol surface with Logic for some time and (knock on wood) have yet to have any issues with assignments or controls. The two seem to be very well integrated.

cyrustse,
I mis-read your post... I thought you were indicating a 4800 WITH Logic; re-reading I see you talking either/or. For strictly monitoring, I would think 4800. Sorry for my ramble about 4800+Logic.

which one will you choose if i've got some gear already?

My gear list:
Mac Pro 8-core 2.8 w/ 2x4GB Ram
2 presonus Digimax FS
1 presonus firestudio
5 PSM400 (ordered today)

price for a DM-4800 and 2 analog interface = about $5000
price for 2 more Digimax FS (both system need that for sure) = about $1200
price for 2 24I/O and 6 4GB ram = about $3700

How will you decide? The Logic system will be better for the bucks but I know that DM4800 is much more for live monitoring situation.

I think it depends on your modus operand. Are you multitracking rehearsals? (I assume that you are, as a 4800 simply as a monitoring solution is serious overkill.) Do you want to make quick adjustments on the fly while playing, or is someone manning the controls all the time?

Ya we're multi-tracking our rehearsal as we are keep writing songs, improvising and throwing ideas around. So we need to do that. It's not necessary for us to make quick adjustments while playing. I've got a presonus faderport to do some adjustments.

If I were in your shoes, I'd save the bucks and look at the I/O boxes. I see the 4800 targeted more toward pro installations and/or those times where you want physical controls available to make faster adjustments. I think it's probably overkill for what you're doing. If it's all going to be in-the-box recording / mixing / monitoring then you've targeted a good I/O box in the Motu.

Back