Logic MIDI Drums

NigelVonLlama

I have MIDI files of drums that I'd like to rework. It's easy to change the velocity of the hits, but I haven't been able to find a way to change the pan. For instance, I like to pan hi hats hard left and ride to the right, however Logic seems to have them pretty close to the middle. Anyone have experience editing MIDI in Logic?

The easiest way that I can think of is to split the drum track into its different bits and put them on different tracks, e.g. kick on one track, hi-hat on another and so on. That way you can pan each track to your heart's content.

Good advice gecko. The easiest way to do this is to select the MIDI track, go to the MIDI menu, and hit Separate MIDI Events > By Note Pitch. In my version of Logic this is kinda buggy... you have to create a new software instrument track for each note pitch and then drag each note pitch track into the a new software instrument track or else the drum tracks will still be grouped together and act as one.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I did find a plugin that let me edit the MIDI, but it only captured the hits, with no envelopes.

I think I'll try splitting up the track. I'm used to mixing drums multitrack anyways. Maybe it will sound more realistic and less like a drum machine!?

Back