Logic Express freezing up

murf214@

I have a Macbook with 2.4G processor,2G of RAM and 160G hard drive. I also have a My Book external hard drive with 750G of space and 7200 speed. I am pretty new to all this some I am not sure if I'm doing this right. I recorded live drums the other night using just my Mac. When I got home I copied the song folder onto my external hard drive. When I was editing the song I used the file that was on the hard drive. No problems there. I tried to record some guitar today and Logic froze. I had to do a force quit. If I open the original song file not on the hard drive I can record no problem. Am I doing something wrong or something else the problem?
thanks for any help.
Sean

Not being a Mac user, I'm not sure how relevant my advice is. I use Logic on a PC.

However, it seems to me that Logic is getting confused with its file pointers . . . maybe it's not sure whether it should be recording direct to the Mac or to the external drive.

I would be confident that your system is fine.

So what you need to try is this:

1 See if you can start a song on the external drive, leave Logic, then comeback to it and record more later on direct to that drive.

2 You've already done this . . . record a song direct to the mac, leave it, come back to it later and do something else.

3 Start a song on the external drive, shift it to the mac and add to it.

4 Start a song on the mac and shift it to the drive and add to it (which is what has given you trouble.

Do you create a unique folder for each song? If you don't, you should. And if you copy the whole folder across, this might fix the problem. I'm guessing that the Mac has the equivalents of folders.

Are all of the audio files in the same place and in the same project folder? Logic doesn't like reading audio from one folder and writing to another. All audio should be in the same project folder, and that should be the open project to which new audio files are written...

All the files are in the same place. I even tried starting a new project with it initially saved on the external hard drive. When I hit the record button it freezes the same as before.

Back