Logic Express 8 MIDI

Elton Bear

Unregistered Abuser
Am I missing something? I can program the MIDI fine, but once I add a sound to it I can't change it, which is a tad annoying. The on-board helps doesn't do its job properly either.

What do you mean "once I add sound to it"? Describe what's going on more completely, including what your setup is.

Well at the moment I'm just on my 13" macbook, no interface or anything.
I have Logic Express 8, program in the MIDI events, then if I choose a GM Piano (for example), that track stays as a piano, and I can't replace it with a trumpet or something later.
It's the same with effects, if I put a reverb on an audio channel, I can turn it on or off but I can't replace it.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but try opening up what ever software instrument is running your MIDI sound. I think (in the case of the GM Piano) it's the ESX24 sampler. You should be able to change the instrument through the sampler, or by clicking the Media button on the right side of the arrange window.

As for the effects, try holding down on the effect button in the track in mixer view. Your drop down menu of effects should pop up and you should be able to select a new effect....

if that doesnt work, i dont know what to tell you. Just keep working at it. It's a pretty simple program

I'm really not explaining myself well here at all, sorry:p

I get the drop-down menu of effects like you say, but once I've chosen one and click it again (like you do on Logic 6) to get the menu to change it, nothing happens.

I don't want to change the patch within the sampler/effect, I want to change the sampler/effect itself... I'm sure I'll work it out, cheers for the replies.

Ok if i am understanding you right this time, you want to open up the effect or instrument and mess around with it? If so, you should be able to double click on the plug-in on the track. That opens up the editor for any instrument or effect. After that mess around with it.

Back