Help - Desperate

robbysaudio

Hi

I could do with some help from Logic users. I have a project to do, which arrived as a whole load of audio files as part of a Logic song. It is a Master recording with a dozen or so songs on. My problem is though, I've only really used Cubase and I'm in unfamiliar territory.:confused:

What I want to do:

I've tried loading a songs worth of audio (wav) files directly into Cubase, but there seem to be issues with timing offsets which mean certain tracks play out of time. Loaded into Logic, however, they play in sync. I need to find a way of exporting each wav file, individually, so for example I could take the kick drum or the guitar track or whatever and save each as a new wav file somewhere else on the hard drive. In this way, I will get synced tracks all of equal length (even those little small regions of recording)

This means getting around 10 or 11 tracks per song. Once done I can then reload them into Cubase and proceed as I know. In Cubase, I would do this via the Master mixer; mute all other tracks and export as a new file, selecting, mono or stereo, the bit size, sample rate as required, rename the track and Save As, in a new folder.

But, the only thing I can find in Logic is the Digital Mixdown option, which appears to offer only the option of merging tracks into a single mono or stereo mix file.

Can anyone help with advice, please?:)

Rob

I suppose you could solo the track that you want to export and bounce each individual track as a .wav file. What version of Logic are you using?

Hi Muyukiguki

You've picked up my problem, nicely. This is exactly what I want to do; copy each raw audio file (no processing or plug-ins - I'll turn them off) and create a new file for each track.

As I say, the only reason I haven't simply loaded the wav files directly into Cubase, is because some files have been 'tweaked' with some Logic setting, which renders them un-playably out of sync with the others, when I do so.:confused: So, what I need to do is load them in Logic (where they all match up OK) and find some way of re-recording or exporting them.

I spoke to someone earlier, who was a little vague, but suggested I simply record each track from Logic into a wave editor, such as Wave Lab or Sound Forge. Any ideas?

All help, gratefully appreciated:)

In Logic, you should be able to "export" each track to a 24 bit wav file - that would work (you want to turn off the plugins first, I guess)
Hi Muyukiguki

You've picked up my problem, nicely. This is exactly what I want to do; copy each raw audio file (no processing or plug-ins - I'll turn them off) and create a new file for each track.

As I say, the only reason I haven't simply loaded the wav files directly into Cubase, is because some files have been 'tweaked' with some Logic setting, which renders them un-playably out of sync with the others, when I do so.:confused: So, what I need to do is load them in Logic (where they all match up OK) and find some way of re-recording or exporting them.

I spoke to someone earlier, who was a little vague, but suggested I simply record each track from Logic into a wave editor, such as Wave Lab or Sound Forge. Any ideas?

All help, gratefully appreciated:)

Hello Antichef

I don't want to sound ungrateful, since you've taken the time to respond, but can you provide with with information on how to, please?

I realise, that with sophisticated recording software programs such as Logic, this should, of course, be possible, but I can't find any help from the help menus. I know how to do this in Cubase - Logic must have similar functions

Cheers Rob

In Cubase, I would do this via the Master mixer; mute all other tracks and export as a new file, selecting, mono or stereo, the bit size, sample rate as required, rename the track and Save As, in a new folder.

This is pretty much what you would do in Logic.

I'm running an older version of Logic on XP, but I think the broad functionality will be there in more recent versions.

1 Mute all tracks except the one you are interested in
2 On the mixing screen, go to the 'output' section.
3 Click on 'bounce' at the bottom right. This should give you options about resolution and so on. If you want mono, click the mono/stereo icon at the bottom left.
4 Once you've set the quality parameters, click on 'bounce'. This will then give you a dialog box in which you can specify a name. When you've done this, it will then go through and render the track as a continuous single track which you can then load into Cubase.

As a matter of interest, if you were a Reaper user, you could use Rearoute, have both Logic and Reaper open, and record the whole suite of tracks from one to the other in one go.

I've tried loading a songs worth of audio (wav) files directly into Cubase, but there seem to be issues with timing offsets which mean certain tracks play out of time. Loaded into Logic, however, they play in sync.

I had another thought.

I assume that when you loaded the files into Cubase you had the correct tempo and the files were located at the same bar positions as in Logic.

When you open up a wav file for editing within Logic, you will notice markers that designate the Region, i.e. the section of the file to be played, and importantly, the section of the file that is visible when you are in the Arrange screen of Logic.

If you load these into Cubase, Logic's markers are not accessible to Cubase, so Cubase will play the whole file, not knowing any better.

In most cases, though, the only difference between the playable and non-playable part of a wave (and therefore visible and non-visible) in Logic is the lead-in bar.

If you have a file located at bar 20 in Logic, this often means that the Region starts at bar 20, but the acutal file starts at bar 19. If you position this file in Cubase at bar 20, Cubase doesn't know about Regions, and the file will actually be starting a bar too late. The solution is, of course, to locate the file at bar 19 of Cubase.

This solution is only available if it is a matter of a simple lead-in. If the Logic user has selected a region of about four bars in a file a couple of minutes long, because it was a neat guitar solo or something, then you really are into sticky territory.

The Digital mixdown option can possibly help you here. For example, if a single track has a number of sequential and or overlayed takes on it, this option will take these and create a single track out of the whole lot.

I assume that when you loaded the files into Cubase you had the correct tempo and the files were located at the same bar positions as in Logic.

Gecko zzed

You could be a lifesaver, mate.:cool: I'll work through your instructions in the earlier posting when I get back from Work (Zzzzzzzzzz!)

As for the second; (see quote above) I understand the format details that would normally accompany the files within a Logic song would not be present when the raw audio files are loaded into Cubase and if it had simply been a case of shifting the wav file into position, I would not have had a problem, but it seems the offsets (possibly midi or time code related) used when either the recording or subsequent mixdown was made meant that it was not possible to do this simple task. So, instead, I needed to find a way to record them from Logic.

Thanks very much for your help:)

Robby

Back