General midi in logic express 8

pitza

Hi,I have just bought a mac midi and installed logic express 8 so that i can add better quality vocals to my own midi compositions which I have sequenced on a PC in general midi format using a realfont soundbank which makes the midi instruments sound pretty good. My question is can I bring the GM file into logic and make it sound as good as it does on my PC so that I can add my vocals or will I have to convert it to a wav file and then bring it into logic? Ps I work in a very simple way on a very basic Magix sequencer as I have done for years so logic seems a bit bewildering to use so I need things explained in simple terms please.
Cheers Pitza.

Yes, you can import the MIDI file into Logic by clicking File --> Import, then selecting the MIDI file. Logic is more or less automatic with MIDI imports, so your file should create the necessary MIDI tracks and assign the corresponding instruments.

I haven't worked with RealFont before, but Logic (even Express) has great quality sounds built into it's library. My guess is that you might end up preferring Logic's sounds to RealFont. If you have built a sound that is not available in Logic, printing it as a .wav file and importing that will also work. Just make sure that the bit depth (16-bit, 24-bit, etc.) and sample rate (44.1k, 48k, 96k) are the same when you export your file.

Good luck!

Back