Garageband 10

Rodd1000

Hi guys, I've been using Garageband for sometime now for writing laying down ideas on guitar and sE X1 mic and have pretty much got the hang of most things in there, so i was thinking of upgrading to logic express. However i've just installed Mavericks on my system and so enabled me to upgrade to the new GB v10 and download and install all of the new sound samples. For me this has been a huge upgrade and offers far more functionality than before. The new drummer function is fantastic for example. Could anyone else who has tried GB 10 advise if the gap between Logic Express and GB has now closed somewhat and if it's still worth the upgrade fee.

Any thoughts from people who have experience of both would be really appreciated.

Unless you're getting LE for cheap (like less than $50), you'd be better off getting Logic Pro X. I've read that some people are having troubles with LE and Mavericks anyway. Besides, if you're willing to learn LE, you may as well learn LP X. It's a great program that has many more features than GB 10 and LE.

Bassically, Michael

Yeah. Get Logic Pro X. It's only a couple hundred bucks and it's a VERY full featured DAW. You can set it up to look and feel a bit more like Garageband (simplifies the interface) in the settings if you want to.

Cheers guys, how is the new drummer feature in Logic Pro X? Is it exactly the same as it is in Garageband or is it completely different. For me this has been the best addition to GB and made laying down ideas so much easier and faster.

Very similar, but with all the kits and more options. The sounds are so much better than they were in LP 9. Also. I really like the new bass amp sim.

Bassically, Michael

Cheers guys, how is the new drummer feature in Logic Pro X? Is it exactly the same as it is in Garageband or is it completely different. For me this has been the best addition to GB and made laying down ideas so much easier and faster.

Pretty good. I've used the actual 'drummer' function only once (I'm a drummer, so I usually want to program from scratch), but from what I could tell it works really well, and the kits I use all the time.

Some times you can find a deal on LE9. I got my copy sealed in the box from a guy on Amazon, $27.00 shipped. Then got GB X when Mavericks came out. It doesn't have all the functionality of Logic X, but the price was a lot better.

For $27 you can't beat that. There's a bit more in Logic X but not THAT much. You can still do a really good session with LP9.

I very recently went from Garageband to Logic Pro X and it's been a huge leap. Right off the bat the same plugins that are not newb-friendly in GB are at the same time easier to use and more full-featured. There are meters(!) so you don't have to guess what the compressor is doing like in GB (which for the life of me I don't understand why they did it that way.) You get more plugins too, and busses. Compressors have sidechains and there's a slew of them. The amps sound better to me and you get pedalboards, also inserts aren't limited; you can have more than five or whatever on a track. My mixes seem like they're more musical now as opposed to just recorded sounds if you know what I mean.

It's a big chunk of change but the DAW is basically another instrument after all, I wouldn't expect great music from a $5 instrument (which is what GB basically is, even though it is awesome for $5!)

You might also consider Reaper. It's free to try out, and a non-commercial license is $60-70 last I checked.

Garageband Drummer

New member. Often I lay down a guitar and bass track without using the metronome. When I then lay in the "drummer" track it is clearly no synced with the instrument tracks. I tried to check "follow" iand selected one of the instrument tracks but it does not work. Am I forced to use the metronome from the very beginning in order to have the drummer track in sync?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

New member. Often I lay down a guitar and bass track without using the metronome. When I then lay in the "drummer" track it is clearly no synced with the instrument tracks. I tried to check "follow" iand selected one of the instrument tracks but it does not work. Am I forced to use the metronome from the very beginning in order to have the drummer track in sync?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

I don't know about Garageband but in other DAWs I know it's possible to manually map out tempo changes to make your grid (and therefore drum patterns) follow an existing recording.
It's also possible to come at it the other way and use time stretch tools to make your audio comply with a tempo.
I'd be surprised if garageband offers that, though.

If possible it's much easier to just establish a tempo from the start and record to a click or, better yet, arrange your drums first and record your audio with them as your reference.
I understand sometimes songs have tempo changes etc but even working that out in advance and mapping those changes is a much easier approach, in my opinion.

It'll also force you to consider the arrangement and have your foundation mapped out and understood before recording a bunch of stuff which is usually no bad thing.
It might ruin your working method if you're experimental or creating on the fly or whatever...Just a suggestion. :)

Back