A few questions about Logic Pro

danielheeger

To start off, I am currently using Reaper as my main DAW program. I've been mostly happy until recently, when I ran into some problems with IK Multimedia programs clashing with Reaper. Turns it, it's a known issue to the folks who make Reaper. ANYWHO..

I am trying to figure out if Logic would be a good choice to switch to. I know it is supposed to be the same basis as Garageband, just much more expanded. I've heard people say that it is comparable to programs as high as ProTools. Is this true?

And also, is there a way to control the delay in Logic Pro on vocals to repeat only certain words or a phrase, i.e. Pink Floyd's "Us And Them" and Alter Bridge's "Ghosts of Days Gone By"? In Reaper I could do it by using ReaDelay and setting a bypass envelope, and apply it as needed. Is something like that possible?

I apologize about my ignorance, but I've tried searching about online and such, and can't find any solid answers. I know it's a lot cheaper than other programs, but you also usually get what you pay for. Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Logic is a high end DAW, extremely powerful and full of options. I expect that you can set envelopes in Logic just as you can in Reaper. However, my experience with Logic extends only to version 5, which was the last before it become Apple only.

Logic is a high end DAW, extremely powerful and full of options. I expect that you can set envelopes in Logic just as you can in Reaper. However, my experience with Logic extends only to version 5, which was the last before it become Apple only.

Thank you very much for the info.

Hi Daniel

Yes, in Logic you can automate aux send levels to your delay channel to only come in for those words you select.
There are several different types of delay FX available in Logic 9 and there is a huge variety of settings available for each type.

You could also try copying the words you want delayed to a separate audio track and apply the effect only to those, but it would mean also duplicating all other plugins so that the tracks have identical pre-effect 'processing' and sound the same.

Logic is definitely in the 'pro' range of audio & midi composition software, of which Protools is also a huge player as it is found in nearly every professional recording studio across the globe. Either software package will give you plenty of scope for achieving the effect you have described, however only protools10 will allow you to work with non-Digidesign/Avid AD/DA hardware. Previous versions will require you to have a Digidesiogn/Avid hardware interface.
Logic will work with anything *including* Digidesign/Avid interfaces.

Logic DOES NOT support VST plugins, and hasn't since version 8, which sucks copious amounts of butt as I have purchased VST effects and instruments for previous versions of Logic and can no longer use them (thanks very much Apple, you bastards).
Having said that, all IK Multimedia AU format plugins (and any other AU format plugin) will work in Logic.

Logic 9 also WILL NOT run on a Windoze ( ;) ) machine, so have a serious think about whether you're able to afford to make the jump to working on a Mac if you're currently in Windoze land.

Dags

I'm very happy with Logic Pro. I don't think even the gurus have completely run out of things they can get it to do. The softsynths are decent, the reverb and delay worth the price alone (which is now dirt cheap for such a program). I use a bunch of IKMultimedia's stuff, and don't have any problems... in 32 bit. In 64 bit, some of their programs haven't been updated, so Logic uses a 32 bit bridge, which can be a PITA. It is pretty much fully automate-able, and have not run into any limitations except my own. There's also a lot of video tutorials out there, as well as places that sell professional video tutorials.

Thanks for all the info! I very much appreciate it. I had a Mac already, so I went ahead and downloaded Logic. It's....different. Much more to it than I expected. That is not a bad thing. I'm just gonna have to learn it. But again, thank you so much.

Back