"AUDIO FILE NOT FOUND!" Several of them. Where did they go? Logic Express 7.2

dupedd

"AUDIO FILE NOT FOUND!" Several of them. Where did they go? Logic Express 7.2

I imported a song from Garageband into Logic Express 7.2 and then recorded several vocal tracks on Logic on top of the imported Garageband song. I have never done this before but was saving after each track but somehow the computer cannot locate these recordings when I go to pull up the song after closing Logic. The only strange thing that happened was when I went to close it out(quit) for the first time I was prompted by Logic Express, "The ISO folder needs a name', or something to that effect. mY bandmate actually closed it out but he said he clicked cancel to leave it alone but it was still closed after he was done(???). When I went to reopen it later it said 'Audio recording#15(#16, #17...) cannot be found" and prompts you to 'search', look 'manually' or 'skip'. I cannot find them on the computer. If you click 'skip'(which is the only way to open the song), the track information is there but there's a grey/white translucent 'screen' over the missing tracks and you cannot hear any sound from them. In the mixer you cannot see any sound in the decibel readout as if there was no sound there.
Where did the tracks go and why can't they be found by Logic(or myself)?

Any help would be great. I'd be really upset if I've lost these tracks. Thanks.

Are the missing files from the original GarageBand session? If so, you should be able to right-click the GarageBand session file and "Show Package Contents". There are your audio files...

No, the missing files are not from the Garageband session. I imported the garageband session into Logic, then recorded tracks in Logic and saved them at several different times. When I went to open the Logic session back up the Logic tracks cannot be found but the imported Garageband tracks are still there and audible. I can see all the track information from the Logic tracks but Logic cannot find the audio recordings to load into Logic. I looked for them manually but the only track 'audio recordings' are from the guitar (not the MIDI keyboard track). There is also an 'Audio Recording#15.aif' and an 'Audio Recording#16.aif' under 'audio files' for this song in the Garageband folder(#15 and #16 are two of the 6 tracks that cannot be found), however neither of these two audio recordings are from the session or even the same song(???!!!). Why are they stored as audio files for this project?

Further if I can see all the track info on the Logic arrange screen(tracks, titles, volume and pan automation) for the Logic recorded vocal tracks then how is it possible that I didn't save these tracks?
Was I supposed to put them in a new folder since they were recorded on Logic and not as the original imported tracks that were recorded on Garageband? Could this have been how I lost them?
I apologize for the many questions but I am lost and at this point desperate to find out if I have indeed lost these recordings somehow. Right now I don't know HOW I COULD have done this.

Edit: Edit: I'll add that where the sound and 'soundwaves' are absent from the missing tracks from the arrange windows view, there's still the track there. Instead of the black 'soundwaves' and dark grey background of the working tracks, there is a light grey color to the missing tracks and no sign of audio on the track(soundwaves). There's still the name of the tracks written in pink at the top of each track, "Recording#18", #19, etc. Logic just can't load them for some reason. Uhgg. :confused:

Last edited:
Open your session in Logic, click "Audio" on your top menu bar and "Set Audio Record Path". It will show you the path where it will record to. If it's blank.....then....well, it shouldn't be blank if you've already been recording in that session :confused:

If you ever open a GB session in Logic again, I'd set the audio record path to something easy to find before you start recording. Logic is supposed to prompt you when you start recording to set a record path.

and, in addition, don't simply use the default "AUDIOnnn" naming convention. Give the files a name that will make them easy to distinguish from everything else.

Back