Would someone help me set up my interface with Reaper? I'm an old newbie...

DM60 found my problem and corrected it! He's a top-notch guy, spending 2 hours working with my pc to get everything set properly and would not accept anything for his time, effort and expense...there are a few good guys left in this world, and he's one of them. Thank you. Thanks also, to jiff and the rest of you good folks who provided much good advice. It was a fairly complex "fix", and I don't feel so bad for not being able to do it, haha. Thanks again to everyone; have a great weekend!

So somebody should tell us what it was??
It's good to put it on here so everybody can see what to do in future!
I'm really glad you got it fixed man!
I think it's time to make some music!:thumbs up:

I'll let Foxwaves describe the fix procedures. I am not sure if it is Reaper, Win8 or IO2, but here is the issue. The Interface get's locked by Win8 audio system. So, in order to get it to work get it to work, you have to go to task manager, services, disable (not sure what the service is, Foxwaves took note) audio services, then bring up Reaper, configure you ASIO4All and it works. When done recording, if you want to hear sounds again, just reverse and enable windows audio.

Win8 seems to run exclusive the audio and the ASIO4All can't seem to get control of it. I am sure if a device has a native ASIO driver that would not be an issue.

Mmmm,
What is it then?,, it would be worthwhile getting a batch file made up so it can be turned on/ off?

Mmmm,
What is it then?,, it would be worthwhile getting a batch file made up so it can be turned on/ off?

I think the manual way of turning it on or off is pretty easy.

But, ASIO4ALL folks probably could figure out a way when their driver comes on, it turns off the Window's audio services. There could be even an easier fix, maybe in Reaper to create a launch script that turns the service off on open and back on when exiting. Is that what you mean?

I think the manual way of turning it on or off is pretty easy.

But, ASIO4ALL folks probably could figure out a way when their driver comes on, it turns off the Window's audio services. There could be even an easier fix, maybe in Reaper to create a launch script that turns the service off on open and back on when exiting. Is that what you mean?
Yes I've got a file for XP that I run to turn off all the junk things that aren't needed, Wi-Fi etc, on my laptop!
& there is one for W7 but the guy who did it reckons it is not needed in W8??

Yes I've got a file for XP that I run to turn off all the junk things that aren't needed, Wi-Fi etc, on my laptop!
& there is one for W7 but the guy who did it reckons it is not needed in W8??

I was reading that the guts of Win8 is 90% or more, Win7. Few things have been tweaked for performance, but the script should work. The service name is Audiosrv, (that is the name you see in the actual services list).

I'll look at the W7 one to see if that is in it?
EDIT
I had a look & the "Audiosrv" is not there,but usually the audio is turned off in windows (well it is in my XP, but in W7 it's one or the other that works, but not together,but ASIO likes full control anyway!).
it turns off things like network stuff that you'll never need on a home PC let alone a DAW!.
but there is one for W8 as well(even tho they say W8 doesn't need tweeking?)

if anybody wants to try em they are available!

Last edited:
Thanks again for getting my DAW up and running. As with most folks, my time to spend with music is limited, but I have laid down a few more test tracks and so far, so good. The door is open now for more learning than I could do in a hundred lifetimes, but one step at a time, I'll go for the basics. I'm smiling!

Thanks again for getting my DAW up and running. As with most folks, my time to spend with music is limited, but I have laid down a few more test tracks and so far, so good. The door is open now for more learning than I could do in a hundred lifetimes, but one step at a time, I'll go for the basics. I'm smiling!

:D :thumbs up: :eatpopcorn: :listeningmusic: ENJOY!

Hey guys, I´m having the exact same problem, except for I use Win7! So, which audio services exactly do I have to disable in task manager? Thanks a lot!

What problem are you having?

No-one's going to read through 80 historical posts to help you.

State your problem again or start a new thread... the latter being preferable... :thumbs up:

Reaper doesn´t recognize my audio interface (Alesis io2). On the preferences I choose the interfece, then put input and output on HD 1 and HD 2, right? When I plug my keyboards in the interface (and PC) I can hear it on my phones, but it doesn´t record anything. It seems like it still records through my laptop mics, cause I can hear myself pressing the keys when I play it back. Someone here mentioned the problem is some audio service in the task manager and it should be disabled, but they didn´t say which exactly.
It works perfectly fine on Audacity though....

Hi LilOrange

Have a look at this= http://screencast.com/t/BCqGv0dT

I don't use this any more but still have it, I think I've covered everything,try setting it this way to see if it works
on mine you can see the built in audio & the IO¦2 make sure the IO¦2 is selected & try de-selecting the built-in audio!
on the ASIO panel 256 is the No on the sllder to try first!

And plug the interface in BEFORE starting Reaper!

I don't know if I'm 100% right but give it a go! :)

Back