What does bridging mean?

ShanPeyton

I have been doing some looking around in preperation to upgrade from 32 bit reaper to 64 bit reaper and some plugins require something called bridging? Is any one able to explain this to me as if i were a 4 year old? Or should i care? Will i still be able to use my 32 bit plug ins? Or are they gone? Really do not want to lose my fish fillet series and kjaerhus suite. I like them a lot.

No you're OK,
Bridging is used when a 32bit Plug is used in 64bit & Reaper does it automatically so you have no need to worry! :D

Yeah it's nothing to worry about, gladly. I recently upgraded to 64Bit myself. You just get an extra little window for each 32Bit VST/VSTi you use and the presets for those are in the Bridge Window, for some/most, rather than the VST/VSTi. (As below)

I've yet to find one that doesn't work, although any DX VST/VSTi's you have, WILL NOT work.

:thumbs up:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
...although any DX VST/VSTi's you have, WILL NOT work...
Not to be that guy, but a DX plugin is by definition not a VST. They are different, and somewhat competing architectures. Microsoft made DX, and Cakewalk (now Sonar) and SoundForge embraced it, but around the same time Steinberg created VST, which I think is better in general, and just about everybody else embraced that. To this day if you want to use a VST in Sonar, you have to run their adapter program. Likewise, when Reaper wants to use a DX plugin, it has to put a bit of code in between. I don't often hear people complaining about DXs failing in 32-bit Reaper at least, but I've never actually seen one work. Every one I've ever tried crashed or hung the thing.

All my old DX files worked in Reaper 32Bit, never a problem. Where as none of them work in 64Bit. Whether they are or are not VST's by definition doesn't really matter to the info I was giving. Some people do still use them and/or have older mixes with them utilised in.

I was just giving a heads up. :thumbs up:

No, I know it was nitpicky thing. One would be just as wrong to call an AudioUnits (AU) plug, or Reaper's own JS plugs as VST. Maybe VST is becoming a generic term for audio plugin? I'd tend to resist that usage, because it can cause confusion.

I've never seen a DX work in Reaper, but that might be the plugs I was trying, or who knows what. Wasn't anything I couldn't do in VST anyway.

I migrated from Sonar 6 and all of their standard plugs came in VST and DX. I just happen to use the DX ones for lack of knowledge or knowing any better. That's the only reason I know that they worked in Reaper 32Bit. Luckily, it wasn't a big deal changing the DX to VSTi in older mixes for the upgrade to 64Bit.

Can't say I've ever seen any of plugs offered as DX though.

Yeah it's nothing to worry about, gladly. I recently upgraded to 64Bit myself. You just get an extra little window for each 32Bit VST/VSTi you use and the presets for those are in the Bridge Window, for some/most, rather than the VST/VSTi. (As below)

You don't need to deal with that extra window if you go into the FX browser and select the option for 'Embed bridged UI'. If you do this, it will seamlessly behave like a 64 bit plugin with no 'Show UI' button.

embed_bridged.jpg

DX plug-ins work fine in REAPER 32 bit for me. I've never even seen anything to indicate that they work any differently than a VST. I choose a DX plug in and it works. Many of the plugs I have came in VST and DX format, I just choose the first one I see and never had an issue.

Just reinatsalled all my software and plugins and the old 32 bit ones seem to work great. No issues. I will have to do the process kindafishy outlined for us because i am not really a huge fan of it opening in a new window.

So far the only trouble and hang ups i am having with the migration is it seems reaper isn't seeing my reverb impulse files for reaverb. I'll see if i can't fix it tonight or over the weekend.

DX plug-ins work fine in REAPER 32 bit for me. I've never even seen anything to indicate that they work any differently than a VST. I choose a DX plug in and it works. Many of the plugs I have came in VST and DX format, I just choose the first one I see and never had an issue.

Yeah they did for me. They don't work with Reaper 64Bit though. Well, none of mine do.

Back