Waves Tune with Reaper

songsj

Anyone here use waves plugins especially Waves Tune with the Rewire link? Does it work and does the FX burn to CD and.or render to new track.

Since you're getting no replies, I can set this up and test it out for you, if you want.
What is the rewire link used for in that context?

When I use Tune in Protools the rewire isn't necessary, but I think it lets me use the Waves Tune timeline and have it sync with the Protools time line.
I never bother setting it up, to be honest.

Apparently Waves Tune needs the rewire link in order to render or burn to disc with DAW's I guess some DAW's launch it automatically and some you have to launch manually in on another track. Some do not support it at all. It's weird and I do not know why Waves does this. With my set up now in Vegas Edit Pro 14, Waves Tune appears to be working fine, correcting pitch etc when mixing but what you hear in your monitors does not burn to disc or render to another track. I guess you are hearing one thing but it creates another file in rewire that is the one you would need to render or burn to disc. My luck Vegas does not support the Rewire link. That is why I am looking at buying Reaper. At this time Vegas also does not support VST3 so Antares and Melodyne are out as well. There is more information on Waves sight about Rewire. Reaper is supposed to support it so I really hope it launches automatically in the background and operates seamlessly.

To directly answer your question, though, Waves Tune will work in real time as an effect in Reaper, and it also affects the rendered output.
What you bounce is what you hear.
This is using Waves Tune VST with no manual rewire.

I just checked. :)

Yeah, he describes what I was saying there.
Rewire allows him to sync protools time line with waves tune time line.

It's handy but unnecessary, and completely unrelated to an audio issues you're having, to the best of my knowledge.

Rewire does have other audio routing applications in other circumstances.
For example, you can use rewire to have a standalone instance of Reason operate just like it was a plugin inside of another DAW, like Protools.
It allows audio to be sent to, processed by, and returned from, that standalone suite, but none of this relates to your Waves Tune set up.

If you had issues bouncing your tuned audio before, I strongly suspect it's a limitation of the vegas suite you were using, as I know first hand that Protools and Reaper work straight-up with Waves Tune just as they would with an eq, compressor, or reverb.

This is the first time I tried rendering tuned audio to a new track, New machine and new software. Whole new set up actually. And you are correct Vegas Edit Pro 14 does not support VST3 or the Rewire app. So right now there is no current version of any major pitch correction program that works in Sony/Magix Vegas Pro products above version 11 or 12. I think they need to get there butts in gear or get out of the way. Some say they are going to just make it a video editing program that happens to do audio work. A person on their forum actually got a little snarky with me for not noticing that this is the direction they have been moving in for a few years. As much as I hate to learn a new DAW I think I am going to try Reaper. The price is right and it sounds like it will do what I need it too. It also looks like the platform is similar to the Vegas product so I guess I would be stupid not to give it a shot . I also feel like if they are really giving audio production their attention they deserve my support.

I think you're making the right choice, if audio is important.
There are so many suites out there which are primarily an X suite and also happen to do Y, but the usually suck at Y.

I use one suite for editing audio, another suite for editing video, and a third suite for putting the two together.
Sounds like a PITA but they're all good at particular things.

I hope you get on well with Reaper. It gets lots of love.

I actually started out in audio recording on Sony Vegas 6 or 7...That puts a date on it! :eek:
I loved the workflow but eventually moved away for similar reasons.

I think I've made up my mind I'm going to at least try Reaper. Can't hurt. I love the Vegas work flow too, but my work is almost entirely Audio. I also started out on Vegas 5 or 6, Have 8.0 on my old machine with all the plugins but needed to upgrade one last time before I'm too old. I figure Magix/Vegas will have to upgrade to at least support VST3 at some time in the not to distant future. They may never support Waves Tune as long as it requires Rewire. Once I find my way around Reaper I should be okay. I've only put it off because I just purchased a new computer, sound card, extra hard drive, 2 23" video monitors, Audio monitors, new Waves plugs, I want to be sure the new system is working like it should before I introduce the new DAW host program. It will be soon though. Thanks,

it requires Rewire.

I've still seen nothing to suggest that rewire is needed for anything other than syncing Waves tune+host timelines.
That's purely a convenience and doesn't affect whether or not the thing works.

Good luck and have fun with your new computer. :)

Thanks and I will be the first to admit I am not the brightest bulb in the box, With Edit Pro 14 waves tune monitors perfectly, corrects pitch and what you hear out of the monitors is great. While playing I get an error message in the scanning part of Waves Tune at the top that says Rewire link cannot be established please check you settings. In my plugin chooser and everywhere else I look I cannot find anything titled or associated with Rewire. Except the installer which I ran 3 times but still could find anything that has to do with Rewire. When I burn a cd the pitch correction does not transfer to the cd. When I render to another track the pitch correction does not render to the new track. Not sure what else to try. Others here tell me Waves Tune will not work in Edit Pro 14. At least to burn to cd or render. Waves website does not list Vegas as a supported DAW, I'm not sure what else to try. I would be a really really happy guy if it worked, burned and rendered.

Ah, ok. I see how the two might appear to be related.
For what it's worth, my instances of Waves Tune always say "rewire link cannot be established".

It simply means if I navigate around the timeline in Waves Tune, Protools will not follow it.
There are other implications, but all related that that basic idea.

If you're familiar with Vegas/Movie Studio, then Reaper will be second nature to you. Reaper was initially designed with Vegas as an inspiration. So the basic editing and behavior is really similar between the two.

I've gotta wonder what's going on with that VST. I use Waves L1 and L2 on audio tracks and the master bus in Movie Studio Platinum 13. It kills my computer's audio performance, but it does work and render with the effects applied. I just have to do that step last, because I can't stand listening to the audio constantly glitch, pop, crackle all the while.

Meanwhile, Sony and now Magix seem oblivious to these complaints, and just released version 14...with the exact same problems.

So you've tried to render to a CD, and bouncing/rendering a new track. what happens if you render the video to disk (hard drive, not compact disc)? Also, what audio and video format are you using?

I have burned to disc, no, waves tune, I have rendered to a new track , no waves tune, There is no video this is just an audio recording. The format is whatever they use for redbook cd, 16 bit 44.1k, and the track renders are what ever my Edit pro defaults are for that process everything else is there but no pitch correction and the vocal timing is a little off with the music.

If you're just doing audio, grab reaper and don't look back. Vegas isn't all that great for audio, and reaper works very similarly.

Got Reaper, have played with it for about a month and it is going well , Got Waves Tune working, I'm not sure it does as good a job as Antares when playing pack on the fly but the way it scans and allows you to fix bad notes with the curser tools is pretty cool. I imagine Antares does that too I just never used that part of it. As with all things there are a few do's and don'ts you need to learn to keep from screwing things up but that is to be expected. Like once you have scanned and tuned a vocal or section up , do not move it on the timeline. It will try to apply the same corrections to the original time placement. In other words the corrections do not move with the audio event. However if yo have to move a vocal or section you can re-scan just that section and re-tune it. If it is the entire song you can do that as well.

Like once you have scanned and tuned a vocal or section up , do not move it on the timeline.

That's a big one!
Little tip for you - maybe it's obvious but it took a while for me to realise.

If you have a session that exceeds the maximum allowed length in wavestune, just insert a second wavesTune, go to the point in the session where 'out of bounds' starts, then in waves tune there's an option to 'acquire start from timeline', or something like that.

That way when the first plug runs out of bounds, the second kicks in.

Bit of a faff, but easier than moving stuff into bounds, tuning, bouncing, and moving back.

Back