Vocal Effects Presets

derekp

My experience recording with software is as follows: Sonar, Cool Edit (a lot) and Adobe. Unfortunately, I find Adobe is terrible to work with using my current computer because it's so heavy on memory and so it takes forever and is inconvenient when mixing and tweaking. That said, I've been messing around with Reaper. I'm really impressed by its light weight and its ease of use.

The problem is, while Adobe was hard to work with and slow, Cool Edit/Adobe had some great presets for vocals, especially in the dynamics processing category. Reaper on the other hand seems to be severely lacking in the area. Sure, they've got a few, and of course they have a number of VSTs, but most of the presets that I've tried I haven't been impressed with. Hell, the reverb VST included two obnoxious presets, lol.

Does anyone know where I can get free presets for vocal effects?

Thanks.

You can always go back into adobe and copy the settings of the ones you like.

But really, you need to learn to tweak your own sounds. Compressor presets are usually pretty pointless since the correct settings are so dependent on the recording level, type of signal, frequency content and crest factor. This is the same for any dynamics processor. However, the settings in the adobe program will translate to most stock dynamics processors. Doesn't adobe use VST's? If it does, just point reaper to the folder with the adobe vst's in it.

That's not a bad idea. I actually did think about copying the settings. In fact I think I did that for a few from Cool Edit Pro that were no longer on my Adobe Audition edition.

I noticed your complaint about reverb - have you downloaded any impulse files to use in ReaVerb? The no-file sound in ReaVerb sucks, but with a decent impulse file, it sounds great.
As every voice (and mic/input system and recording environment) is different 'presets' are most times a waste of time - they can give you a place to start, at best.
I use ReaEQ mostly, and have a dozen EQ presets (my own) in it that I use to help my vocals blend into a particular song style.
For compression - when needed - I only add enough to smooth things out, so every song is different.

Gee, I hope there's some helpful responses as opposed to this pointless, near-trolling bullshit.

Well, I did suggest you see if you can use the plugins from Adobe in your new daw and I also suggested that the settings from one should work in the other. You just have to transfer them manually.

There is a reason everyone is surprised that the presets were working for you. No one is trolling you.

Well, I did suggest you see if you can use the plugins from Adobe in your new daw and I also suggested that the settings from one should work in the other. You just have to transfer them manually.

There is a reason everyone is surprised that the presets were working for you. No one is trolling you.

And I noticed. I've taken a look, and some of the settings from Adobe don't exactly--on the face of them--translate to the VSTs in Reaper. I'm going to give them a try, though. Thanks

Gee, I hope there's some helpful responses as opposed to this pointless, near-trolling bullshit.

Trolling :laughings:

How hard is it to transfer settings over from one vst to another and save Preset?

I'll quit trolling now and forget about advising you in the future. Good luck with your Presets. :thumbs up:

And I noticed. I've taken a look, and some of the settings from Adobe don't exactly--on the face of them--translate to the VSTs in Reaper. I'm going to give them a try, though. Thanks
Depending on what effects you are doing and how deep the ones in adobe go, there will be a little messing around.

Dynamics is usually pretty safe. Threshold, ratio, attack and release are the big important settings. Knee is somewhat less important. Any other controls are even less important.

Delays are pretty straight forward. Delay time and feedback/repeats. Then there is the ping pong and all that other stuff, which is still self explanatory.

Reverb gets a little tricky. First you need to load the type of verb (plate, hall, chamber, etc...) Then the decay time and the pre-delay.

Those are the basic settings for the main effects. Those are the things that need to be transferred that every plugin of that type will have. Some tweaking will be required, but you probably tweaked the presets anyway to make them fit the mix.

Do you have any idea as to what would provide "Hard Limiting" in reaper? When comparing mixes, that seems to be what's missing in my Reaper mix.

Depending on what effects you are doing and how deep the ones in adobe go, there will be a little messing around.

Dynamics is usually pretty safe. Threshold, ratio, attack and release are the big important settings. Knee is somewhat less important. Any other controls are even less important.

Delays are pretty straight forward. Delay time and feedback/repeats. Then there is the ping pong and all that other stuff, which is still self explanatory.

Reverb gets a little tricky. First you need to load the type of verb (plate, hall, chamber, etc...) Then the decay time and the pre-delay.

Those are the basic settings for the main effects. Those are the things that need to be transferred that every plugin of that type will have. Some tweaking will be required, but you probably tweaked the presets anyway to make them fit the mix.

Do you have any idea as to what would provide "Hard Limiting" in reaper? When comparing mixes, that seems to be what's missing in my Reaper mix.

Transferred a soft knee setting doing what you said, Farview...threshold, ratio attack and release. Sounds pretty good. But I still need an amplifier effect like hard limiting. Any ideas?

There are a couple of limiters that come with Reaper. Take a look at JSLoser Limiter or masterLimiter.

Unfortunately, I don't use reaper. The plugins I use are mostly non-stock ones for UAD and waves.

ReaComp works as a hard limiter and a clipper. Set all the time constants to 0 and ratio to infinity. Enable make up gain if you want, and/or use the wet slider for make up. You can use the knee to get a soft-clipping thing happening. For a bit less distortion, set the RMS time shortish (5-20ms maybe?) and maybe set the pre-comp to about half of that.

It also works well as an "automatic automation" thing if you set the pre-comp really long, the RMS about double, attack and release still 0, and ratio usually less than 2.

I use no other compressors

ReaComp works as a hard limiter and a clipper. Set all the time constants to 0 and ratio to infinity. Enable make up gain if you want, and/or use the wet slider for make up. You can use the knee to get a soft-clipping thing happening. For a bit less distortion, set the RMS time shortish (5-20ms maybe?) and maybe set the pre-comp to about half of that.

It also works well as an "automatic automation" thing if you set the pre-comp really long, the RMS about double, attack and release still 0, and ratio usually less than 2.

I use no other compressors

You know I noticed a few settings that had me thinking that {ReaComp working as both a compressor and hard limiter} was a possibility. Thanks for the settings.

---------- Update ----------

There are a couple of limiters that come with Reaper. Take a look at JSLoser Limiter or masterLimiter.

Will do. Thanks.

Back