SWS custom actions files

DaleVO

Poor Farm Productions
Friends,
I have recently completed some hardware upgrades on my editing PC. I installed a new HDD, with a fresh load of Windows. However, even with my diligence in saving VSTs and other files, I failed to dig around in the Reaper file for my SWS custom actions and shortcuts that I built for editing.

Has anyone already had the experience of hunting them down, in the proggy, to see where they reside? I have the ability to connect the old HDD as an external so I can explore, just haven't had time yet. I thought I would reach out to the gurus who may already have the experience.

Thanks in advance.
Dale

Update: Found.

For future reference, the .ini files are found in C:\Users\Dale\AppData\Roaming\REAPER... called reaper-kb.ini

You will have to set folders to Show Hidden Files, in order to see the AppData folder, et.al..
Dale
Screenie.PNG

When I started trying to make drums work in Reaper I ran into that hidden directories bit too.
Very frustrating of Microsoft to do that and compounded by Reaper to land their files in so many places scattered around in Windows.

I gave up on drums after finally getting to the point of making a thump or two.

A year of disuse later I'm again struggling with VSTi and the actual, detailed steps of how to get them to function.
On Reaper Forums it seems that "just download" is equivalent to "drive from San Francisco to LA" in that if you don't know how to drive - it's not enough information. I can download the files and even unpack them but what happens next has not proven to be successful.

When I started trying to make drums work in Reaper I ran into that hidden directories bit too.
Very frustrating of Microsoft to do that and compounded by Reaper to land their files in so many places scattered around in Windows.

A year of disuse later I'm again struggling with VSTi and the actual, detailed steps of how to get them to function.
On Reaper Forums it seems that "just download" is equivalent to "drive from San Francisco to LA" in that if you don't know how to drive - it's not enough information. I can download the files and even unpack them but what happens next has not proven to be successful.

Everybody keeps failing to see the excellent free vids on the download page! :)

Attachments

• Reaper Vids.PNG
    Reaper Vids.PNG
    122.3 KB · Views: 0

When you download a VST or VSTi, firstly save it to place that you can get to if your system falls over and you have to reinstall everything. For example, I download them to an external drive on which there is a directory 'vst downloads'.

Some use an installer, which you run, noting the directory in which it is installing them.

If the VSTi doesn't come with an installer, it (generally) means you can simply copy the DLL file into either an existing VST directory, or one that you create.

When you next load Reaper, it will pick up these new VSTs if Reaper 'knows' the directory in which the DLLs are located.

If it doesn't, then got to 'Preferences', then scroll down to Plugins/VST. Here you have the option of adding the directory in which you've put the VST, then doing a rescan.

Reaper will then pick them up.

If the VSTi doesn't come with an installer, it (generally) means you can simply copy the DLL file into either an existing VST directory, or one that you create.

I generally find the exceptions rather quickly.

2nd VSTi downloaded in fact. Got it downloaded and unpacked ok (I guess). Couldn't find a config to make it run even though Reaper could see it.

Posted the question to Reaper forum. Waited 3 days. Got no answer. Deleted the unpacked files and the download.

Wasn't very important to me anyway. This is typical of my Reaper experience. I can't seem to get out of my own neighborhood - nevermind driving to LA.

I generally find the exceptions rather quickly.

2nd VSTi downloaded in fact. Got it downloaded and unpacked ok (I guess). Couldn't find a config to make it run even though Reaper could see it.

Posted the question to Reaper forum. Waited 3 days. Got no answer. Deleted the unpacked files and the download.

Wasn't very important to me anyway. This is typical of my Reaper experience. I can't seem to get out of my own neighborhood - nevermind driving to LA.

What was the vsti?

I can download it and see how I go.

And if I get it going, I can give you the steps.

What was the vsti?

I can download it and see how I go.

And if I get it going, I can give you the steps.

It was a piano vsti. It unpacked into several more parts than just the .dll and the instrument directory.
Don't waste your time. It wasn't very important to me. But thanks for offering.

Everybody keeps failing to see the excellent free vids on the download page! :)

Kenny makes great videos.

Which one explains how to download and install VSTIs? Which one explains how to know that you have ALL the right pieces in the right places?

The only video that might apply to VSTi ("Plugins and FX")doesn't actually show anything about VSTis. It is about FX.

You guys are trying to help but you just don't seem to be able to get all the way down to my (pathetic ) level where everything has to be specifically stated or I won't do it and it won't work for me.

Kenny makes great videos.

Which one explains how to download and install VSTIs? Which one explains how to know that you have ALL the right pieces in the right places?

The only video that might apply to VSTi ("Plugins and FX")doesn't actually show anything about VSTis. It is about FX.

You guys are trying to help but you just don't seem to be able to get all the way down to my (pathetic ) level where everything has to be specifically stated or I won't do it and it won't work for me.

Hi Ronbert

Sorry getting carried away!,,, Have a look at this vid see if it helps?

https://youtu.be/04JR_sLxGbc

If you need any more help post back! :)

I'm quite happy to dive down to the level where everything has to be specifically stated.

There are two reasons for this:

1 I am a keen supporter of Reaper, and I hate seeing people frustrated when using it.

2 Even though you say it was an unimportant piano vsti that caused you grief, being able to manage the installation of VSTIs generally is something that goes hand in hand with midi. And next time it might be a critical VSTI that causes you grief.

So if you want to pursue it, I'm ok to continue.

I've been frustrated with Reaper since I installed it. Yes, there is an extensive user manual but it works for me like Unix help - if you know the answer but need a refresher it's fine. But it's not the place to start. And I don't know any of the answers. I've worked thru a book on beginner recording which used Reaper examples but it didn't go very far.

Last year I recorded myself singing and playing guitar. Did 14 songs for my mother. Eq and fixing mistakes worked out ok though the effort of processing the tracks was a LOT more than I was expecting and actually had time for. But she got her CD for Mother's Day. And I set Reaper aside for a year because I was exhausted by the effort.

So now I thought I might touch on VSTi.

Here's what I downloaded and unpacked - a Reaper forum member named it

Sound Magic - Piano One

The chinese-to-english user manual was pretty sketchy.

The .ins file is important somehow but the manual only said it was important and without it you won't get sound. But it didn't say what to do with it.

I could get Reaper to recognize it as a VSTi but could get no sound.

This probably isn't a Reaper problem per se. It's just that there is so little documentation for what, specifically, to do that it feels like I'm supposed to just randomly try stuff. I rarely hit the answer that way.

My impression is that you are running on a PC, not a Mac. Is that correct?

I tried to find an online manual to see what it is abut the .ins file, but haven't tracked it down yet.

Because Reaper can see the plug-in means that you have unpacked everything alright, and Reaper has found it ok.

So I'm thinking the final step is to do something with that file. I don't know what yet.

I've got Piano One, which I use a lot. But it was a much smaller download and I didn't do anything with .ins files.

My impression is that you are running on a PC, not a Mac. Is that correct?

I tried to find an online manual to see what it is abut the .ins file, but haven't tracked it down yet.

Because Reaper can see the plug-in means that you have unpacked everything alright, and Reaper has found it ok.

So I'm thinking the final step is to do something with that file. I don't know what yet.

I've got Piano One, which I use a lot. But it was a much smaller download and I didn't do anything with .ins files.

PC - yes. Windoze 7.

I'm running Reaper 4.

The download contained a .pdf user's manual with a passing reference to the .ins file. Wasn't sufficient for me to know what to do with it.

I hope you find this puzzle entertaining :-) Could be something dumb like I clicked on the wrong download choice or something.

Back