Strange Editing Problem In Reaper - Clips/Splits Moving

j.garner

Howdy,

I've used Reaper for years and never had this problem. I was showing a student how to use their Reaper during a guitar lesson, and when we went to edit, it flummoxed me.

We have a couple of guitar strums we want to move over to sync up. Usually, I just split on both sides and then drag into alignment.
But, on her machine, when we split and try to move, all the clips in that track move, before and after the split. Whoa! I cannot find the setting that would cause this.

Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks in advance!
Jon G

I'm not sure what it's called in Reaper, but in other software there's something called Auto Ripple. It's an editing mode that automatically slides clips together when you cut a portion out. That could be enabled.

The Ripple editing button (3 from left bottom row) has 3 stages, disabled,per track & all tracks, hover with the mouse to see which state is selected?
Selection_002.png

Make sure in prefs the bottom line is checked?
Selection_003.png

Also check items are not grouped? (Chain button next to ripple edit)

:guitar:

I'm not sure what it's called in Reaper, but in other software there's something called Auto Ripple. It's an editing mode that automatically slides clips together when you cut a portion out. That could be enabled.

Ah! Ok, I will check that and report back. Won't see the student for four days, but I will share this link with her.
Thanks! Hope that's it.

---------- Update ----------

The Ripple editing button (3 from left bottom row) has 3 stages, disabled,per track & all tracks, hover with the mouse to see which state is selected?
View attachment 100562

Make sure in prefs the bottom line is checked?
View attachment 100563

Also check items are not grouped? (Chain button next to ripple edit)

:guitar:

Great!!! Thanks. Super helpful. I will report back.

That did the trick!!
Thanks, y'all rock.
Much appreciated. Now student can back to work editing her demo, and not waste half the week.
Thanks!
Jon G

Back