Stock plug ins

RFR

Been working with reaper for a few days. Easier than I expected considering I'm coming from all analog and I'm a complete newbie to daws.

Importing analog tape tracks has been a breeze, and I'm playing around with mixing.

The stock reverbs however seem to suck, and there are limited choices. You got only two. ReverVerbate and ReaVerb. Both are pretty lame.

What's up with that? What do you guys use for reverbs?

With ReaVerb, search around for impulse files to use with it. It can be a good sounding reverb, although it's a resource hog that's never been 100% agreeable with my systems. I have trouble with it when I try to record-arm a track while ReaVerb is active. It's probably a sample rate mismatch between my native project sample rate and that of the impulse samples themselves.

I have several dozen impulse files if you're interested.

Reactions: RFR
Impulse files are awesome. Some nerd goes into an actual acoustical space (like a concert hall, a church sanctuary or a famed studio live room), brings some reference mics, a signal generator and a speaker, and via black magic takes a snapshot of that space's Reverb characteristics. They make a WAV file to capture that magic info, and you can load it into a convolution Reverb such as ReaVerb.

There are also impulse files that represent famous hardware units like plate reverbs, and specific guitar cabinets. Cool stuff. Worth spending an evening dicking around with it.

With ReaVerb, search around for impulse files to use with it. It can be a good sounding reverb, although it's a resource hog that's never been 100% agreeable with my systems. I have trouble with it when I try to record-arm a track while ReaVerb is active. It's probably a sample rate mismatch between my native project sample rate and that of the impulse samples themselves.

I have several dozen impulse files if you're interested.
Have you tried ticking the LL and ZL buttons? They can make a big difference.

What Reaper is really missing is decent instruments (VSTis) out of the box, but there's a lot of good freeware out there.

Definitely don't neglect the JS plugs, there's a lot of good utility stuff and some decent specialty items in there. Plus, if you know anything about coding, you can modify and/or write your own.

ReaEQ and ReaComp are great and easy to use.

ReaVerb - yeah, you need some impulse files. There's a link in the manual to get a bunch, but someone here (Tadpui? sorry, I forget who) gave me a sh!tload of them. Let me know and I can dropbox them to you.

I rolled my own reverb using JS... it's worse than the other two...I don't use much reverb these days...

I compensate for lack of reverb by layering on too many instruments.

ReaEQ, ReaComp and Ambience would be my freeware desert island plugins. There's very little I couldn't get done if I had those three.

@ Tadpui & mjbphotos, I wouldn't mind having some of those.

I'd have to figure out how to download, install, and use them, but I guess I have to learn this stuff anyway.

@bouldersoundguy, I do very much like the rea eq and the rea comp. Very good and useful plug ins. The ambience, is that a reaper plug?

Oh yeah, the 3d party one. I actually downloaded
that. I just got it loaded on my computer but haven't been able to get it in my plug in folder.
The only access I've found is by going into track FX which then brings up the available plugs, but haven't been able to get ambience in there. Tried drag and drop. No go.
More study of the manual required.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the 3d party one. I actually downloaded
that. I just got it loaded on my computer but haven't been able to get it in my plug in folder.
The only access I've found is by going into track FX which then brings up the available plugs, but haven't been able to get ambience in there. Tried drag and drop. No go.
More study of the manual required.

You can put the ambiance.dll in any folder on your computer you want, but you need to tell Reaper where to find it.

Options: Preference: Vst.

You'll see a "paths" window that shows where you are keeping your plugins. Add the folder where you put the ambiance.dll to that list (separate the paths with a semicolon ; ). Now click the scan button.

When you open up an FX window, you should see Ambiance.

Thanks! I was going crazy for a minute, but then got it.

Your post can help other people in the same predicament.

Yeah, playing around with ambience right now. Real nice verb from what I can tell so far!
:thumbs up:

@ Tadpui & mjbphotos, I wouldn't mind having some of those.

I'd have to figure out how to download, install, and use them, but I guess I have to learn this stuff anyway.

@bouldersoundguy, I do very much like the rea eq and the rea comp. Very good and useful plug ins. The ambience, is that a reaper plug?

I'll upload them tonight and post the link. I'm pretty sure I deleted them from my DB.

Back