Stock plug ins

Right, I've worked out how to add impulse responses into ReaVerb. Anyone know what I should be setting wet/dry to?

Right, I've worked out how to add impulse responses into ReaVerb. Anyone know what I should be setting wet/dry to?

In ReaVerb, leave it 100% wet. Then you can adjust the send level of each track that you send to it to control wet/dry for each track.

Understand that ReaVerb is mono in > stereo out. It sums the stereo input to mono and then does whatever it does. I haven't seen these impulses ( :( ), but you sometimes have to be careful. Loading half of a true stereo impulse will give you lopsided verb.

There's a walk through in the Guide that show how to set up two instances for true stereo operation.

I've never noticed any strange happenings with ReaVerb when sending a stereo track to it. But then again, not sure I would notice! :rolleyes:

I think most true stereo impulses are pretty clearly labeled. Should be, anyway, cause you need to know which is right and which is left and all that.

I haven't played much with impulses from real spaces. I bought Voxengo's impulse modeler thing with intention to do all kinds of crazy things. I built one room, and shot a series of impulses with the speaker getting further and further from the mics, and that's all ever done with it and the only impulses I ever use. shrug

I wanted to mention that ReaDelay is a pretty powerful delay engine, though the bit depth thing is almost useless (just adds noise) and you have to be careful with the feedback. Whatever that bit depth thing is supposed to do, the plugin runs on floating point, and if it keeps adding layer upon layer upon layer it can literally escalate to billions of times louder than your DAC can go. That sounds fun, but...

But there are ways around that, too. Reaper's routing flexibility maxes it pretty easy to build your own feedback loop. I had been sending to a second track and back (you have to "allow feedback routing" in project settings), but there's actually a stock plug (can't remember the name when I need it) where you just drop two instances into the FX chain and the second one sends audio back to the first one. Course that will escalate also, but the point is that it allows you to put compression/limiting/saturation/clipping in the feedback loop and actually set a limit. You can also do whatever else you might want in that feedback loop like more complex filters than the simple pass filters in ReaDelay.

Speaking of loops, apparently we now have a MIDI controlled "loop station" type thing. (?) I haven't upgraded in a while because I've been balls deep in projects that can't get fucked up from some random change to a plugin name or preference setting or whatever. I know Reaper is generally good about backwards compatibility, but I suffer from a bit of PTSD from hardware and software fuckups in former lives.

I bought the Lexicon MPX reverb on sale for $50 a couple of years ago, and it's the only reverb that I've used since. It's the little brother of the family, and I had to buy a goddamn iLok2 (the worst idea in the music industry since Swedish Hillbilly Techno...fuck you, Cotton Eye Joe), but all in all I've more than gotten my money out of it.

Back