stereo/mono

timtimtim

I just bought a UCA 202 USB sound interface. It works well on replay, but in Reaper it will only record the left channel even though the Reaper track is set to Stereo Left and Right. Reaper worked perfectly well with the internal sound card. Desktop-LNIK8PG, Intel i7-7700K, 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit

Yes I do. If I put input into the L channel of the UCU 202, in Reaper both channels show input, but if I put input into the R channel then Reaper shows no level on either channel.

I've just tested recording in Audacity and it's the same problem - the right channel won't record and the left channel records on both L and R of stereo

In Reaper you can select which driver you're using. Not sure, but I think Audacity defaults to the stock Windows driver. So I wonder if you need to select a different driver in Reaper. Preferences -> Options -> Devices -> Audio System, try a different option on the dropdown list. That would be the first thing I tried. I don't think the UCA devices have special drivers, but there may be something on that list that works better.

Otherwise, double check your input routing.

in Reaper devices audio there are only 2 options: Microsoft Sound Mapper and Microphone (USB Audio CODEK). They both have the same fault

Yes I do. If I put input into the L channel of the UCU 202, in Reaper both channels show input, but if I put input into the R channel then Reaper shows no level on either channel.

The USB codec is what you need. Double check to make sure that in Reaper you have selected L + R on the input track.

Also, do to test recordings in mono, left and right separately, just to make sure there isn't a cable problem going into the USB device.

I'm using the Microphone (USB Audio CODEK). L+R is selected on the input track. Cables are OK - plugging a signal into L input on the USB device you get a high signal on both L and R tracks. Plugging the signal into R input on the USB device you get a very attenuated signal on both L and R tracks (probably crosstalk to the L input?).

Could the UCA 202 be at fault?

Just this night I had the same probs recording from my mixer to Audacity via USB.. Short version, it was the driver.

The UCA 202 doesn't have a driver, it's plug-in and go. Could it be the driver from the onboard sound interfering with it? If I know it's something to do with the computer I'll keep plugging away at it, but if it's the UCA faulty I will return it.

The UCA 202 USB sound interface doesn't have mic inputs...

You wouldn't be trying to use it with a USB mic, would you? In that case, your question is confusing everyone.

If not, how are you connecting the mic? Through a preamp?

I'm not using a mic. The UCA has 2 line inputs.

Sorry for getting confused.

I just reread the entire thread. It's not a REAPER problem, since Audacity behaves the same.

That leaves Windows settings, or a defective UCA 202. Could Windows be supposing this is a mono source?

Cyrano has it I am sure. The UCA 202 is completely at the mercy of Windows sound settings, drill down into those and I am sure you will find the answer.
I have a 202 here and can run some tests tom' if you like?

Dave.

Cyrano has it I am sure. The UCA 202 is completely at the mercy of Windows sound settings, drill down into those and I am sure you will find the answer.
I have a 202 here and can run some tests tom' if you like?

Dave.

I've got it working thanks Dave, using the ASIO4ALL driver recommended by bouldersoundguy

Back