Sound card that works with REAPER

JFoshee

If this should have went in another forum I apoligize. I just figured that for someone who knew anything about computers it would be a quick and easy answer.
I have an older Dell E6400 running XP SP3. Intel Core 2 Duo P 8700 @ 2.53 Ghz 1.95 GB of RAM. Here is a screen shot of my audio hardware.

I would like to upgrade to something that will help with the latency issue I am having. What are your suggestions? I thought it might be relevant to add I am using a Scarlett 8i6 for an interface. I have it set to ASIO driver and it does help, but the latency is still unusable. Wanted to upgrade sound card in my laptop if possible.

Attachments

• Screen shot.bmp
    3 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
The soundcard in your laptop shouldn't be relevant and doesn't need to be upgraded as it shouldn't be being used. The sound you're getting should be from the Scarlett interface, which replaces your laptop soundcard for audio production purposes.

So the latency issue is somewhere else...

In Reaper, have you got the Scarlett showing as the recording device? Is it installed correctly on the laptop with the latest drivers? Have you "optimised" the OS for audio recording? Etc. etc....

It's not exactly a hugely powerful laptop with those specs but you should still be able to record and play back OK.

And there are easier ways to show screens than 3MB bitmaps!

Are you using Scarlett MixControl, the interface's low latency input monitoring feature, or are you monitoring live inputs by the high latency path through the computer and Reaper?

The soundcard in your laptop shouldn't be relevant and doesn't need to be upgraded as it shouldn't be being used. The sound you're getting should be from the Scarlett interface, which replaces your laptop soundcard for audio production purposes.

So the latency issue is somewhere else...

In Reaper, have you got the Scarlett showing as the recording device? Is it installed correctly on the laptop with the latest drivers? Have you "optimised" the OS for audio recording? Etc. etc....

It's not exactly a hugely powerful laptop with those specs but you should still be able to record and play back OK.

And there are easier ways to show screens than 3MB bitmaps!

Yes. Scarlett is the recording device. I will reinstall today and update drivers. No sure if the PC is optimised or not. Can you refer me to a post where this is discussed or tell me how to?
Sorry about the pic size. I wasen't sure how to do it so I googled it.

Are you using Scarlett MixControl, the interface's low latency input monitoring feature, or are you monitoring live inputs by the high latency path through the computer and Reaper?

I'm not sure, but I think the latter of the two. I will investigate this some more today.

I was not using the mix control. My bad. I installed it and the latency issue got much better. Thanks jimmys69 for the link. I will check it out. Thanks every one for all the help.

Back