It’s Dead Jim.

kon16ov

I’m not sure there’s a more apt or descriptive title for what’s going on. A quick rundown might offer insight...though, it hasn’t for me...

I’m recording via a USB MobilePre+ (Avid MobilePre+ drivers v1.0.8 or so -- they worked fine for a couple of years up until the weekend...)
I save often as I notice the software is starting to hang, randomly.
I got the notice to update. Since I figured this might help the hangs, I surely updated with no delay.
Now, I do a “naked mix” for a baseline, mostly unmixed, unmastered output with no FX on any of the tracks. This time, however, I noticed two things: 1) I had to reinstall the LAME dll...it went walkabout, apparently, and 2) when I clicked on “Render,” the software locks. Well...goes slightly out of focus and then locks.
I AM able to save a bounce and play through the song to save. So, I do this for the naked mix.
I reload the application and task switch away. When I task switch back, it locks.
In the midst of a couple different tries, I manage a second bounce save, after which, Reaper promptly froze.
Now -
When I load the application and click “Load Recent -> <songtitle>,” it locks
When I double-click on an RPP file, it loads to a point and hangs.
When I load the application, staring at it for 10 seconds, it hangs.
The software has never crashed, per se, so I don’t know it would produce crash logs -- I could be wrong, though; perhaps I just don’t know where they live and should dig around on the forums....

So, the nitty gritty on my system:
A Samsung laptop - Pentium duo 2.1GHz 8GB RAM
Windows 8 64-bit
Recording device: MobilePre+ USB
Reaper, GuitarRig5 are the only musical software packages left on the system...

I uninstalled everything, and I do mean everything, music and driver related (MobilePre drivers, ASIO4ALL drivers, Reaper, Ozone, GuitarRig, Audacity, GuitarPro6...I think that's it...) and re-installed only Reaper, at first (with no change in locking), then Gr5, to test my luck. I am exceedingly hesitant to go scorched earth and flatten the PC -- as I’ve seen recommended on the Reaper forum -- and was more curious if anyone else has encountered any weirdness with 4.731 that might explain what I’m looking at, here. I’ve uninstalled completely and tried previous versions that I know work, and still the same. I don’t know precisely what happened, but, it’s had completely taken out my ability to record/produce in Reaper.

My sorrow is that all the stems were recorded at my mom’s deathbed and had wanted all of it mixed and produced for the funeral, but since it’s tomorrow...I went a different route, working with my dad (a composer) and arranging them more liturgically, and it worked out, OK, although for piano/organ rather that guitar. I include this as background and, in case some of the steps don't seem to be "logical," it's because I've not been logical for a few days...also, with the funeral and everything in mind -- if I'm not 100% timely in my responses, that's why.

At any rate -- I just want my Reaper back! Any thoughts (other than scorched earth?) as to perhaps a fix for what’s going on?
Thanks in advance for any information and/or suggestions you have!

Peace,

Phil

It doesn't sound like on the surface, it is hardware or software related, but the Lame interface. I rarely do MP3's from Reaper, I render a wave then run through Audacity. To date, I have had no issues.

Try that as a work around until after the funeral and you can then focus on the problem. I would suspect the LAME plug in has been corrupted somehow.

Have you tried importing the stems into a new project?

I've had a few projects lock up and crash for no reason and never been able to recover them.

Thanks for the quick responses!
I'll look into the LAME issue, but the other problem is that Reaper doesn't not hang long enough to start a new project. :(
I'll poke around over the next few days, probably...maybe.
Of course, I'm looking forward to getting back to my actual recording rig. This traveling and recording is for the birds. :)

Update: still can't task switch away and come back to it without it locking, completely. Ack. Started building a new project and it was fine...until I had to check on something else....then boom.

Update 2: building a new project works fine until it comes time to save and then it hangs...

Last edited:
Can you do a system restore to a time before the weekend?

If the problem persists, I'm going to go out on a limb and say not Lame, not Reaper, but video card.

from your last update: How much free space is on the hard drive you are recording to? Have you tried moving the default directory (for projects) off of that drive (copy it elsewhere and delete) and then running Reaper? I know everyone is throwing video/audio/hard drive at you, but it can be ANY.

I'm going quasi-scorched earth, so we'll see what comes of that. I'm doing a Windows 8 "Refresh" which, I guess is a kinder, gentler "restore," since nowhere have I found a restore point or option, and it's not SUPPOSED to monkey with personal files...which have all been backed up since I trust MS as far as I can throw them. At any rate, once it's going back to "fresh from the factory," I'll set about putting this thing back together and go from there.

I'm still baffled as to the "why," here. Nothing changed other than the update from Reaper. It's head-scratcher. Thanks for the suggestions, thus far, and I'll keep y'all posted as I can. (tomorrow's a fun travel day...)

Phil

Back