Reverse Reverb effect - tutorial.

Bubba po

Tiny Stonehenge Moment
Hi, a short while ago in the MP3 clinic, I posted a song that had a reverse reverb effect on the drum intro and lead vocal. It's a strange effect with a disquieting feel to it, so is not for everybody, but I've had a couple of requests as to how it's done so I thought I'd share.

This is how the effect sounds:

And this is how to do it in Reaper:

1. duplicate the track you want to add the effect to.

2. Select track and under "Items" Select "Reverse track as new take".

3. Add a big reverb plugin of your choice to the track, 100% wet.

4. Under "Items" select "Apply track/take FX to items as new take".

5. Under "Items" select "Reverse track as new take".

6. Remove the reverb plugin from the track.

7. Under "Items" select "Glue Items within time selection" or "Crop to active take" (thanks ashcat_lt). This gets rid of the other take lanes on the track and cleans the whole thing up.

Have fun. :)

Last edited:
In my experience, there usually needs to be blank space at the beginning and end of the original take so that the verb can trail out correctly and line up right when you get done.

If your reverb is 100% wet, then this is probably best done on a copy of the track so that you can mix it with the original almost like it was a send effect.

Step 7 could as easily be "Crop to Active Take". In this case it will accomplish the same as Glue.

Using a delay can make an interesting variation to this technique.

If your reverb is 100% wet, then this is probably best done on a copy of the track so that you can mix it with the original almost like it was a send effect.

Yep. Following the steps I've outlined leaves you with the reverb effect on its own track and you can then treat it and edit it as you wish. Your point about leaving a lead-in for the reverb to swell properly is a good one, too. Assuming the track you are making the effect for doesn't start bang at the beginning of the project, then leaving a lead-in mainly applies to further edits within the reverb track. I wasn't aware that "Crop to active take" did that job, but it's worth knowing. :thumbs up: I've added that to the instructions.

If there's a rash of new tunes in the Clinic with big reversed reverb effects, you're going to be held responsible... :laughings:

If there's a rash of new tunes in the Clinic with big reversed reverb effects, you're going to be held responsible... :laughings:

I can't see that happening - many commenters have said that they tired of the effect quite quickly. I love it, myself! :D

Back