Removing pops and clicks

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
In regards to this thread. Does Reaper have any tools that can help me deal with these rage-inducing pops?

Alternatively, is there something in Reaper that might be causing this problem? It happens with Audacity too...

Ok. I recorded a brief, 12 second guitar sample.

When I zoomed in, I couldn't see anything that looked suspicious. So I've instead uploaded the audio so you can look yourself.

Here is the file that Reaper automatically generated.

Here is the result when I exported it.

Im not getting anything weird in either file

the only thing of concern to me is an over in the circled area

1086555821-Sony-Sound-Forge-9.0.png

Can you come by the reaper chat channel and see if people can figure this out in realtime?

REAPER - Help and Chat
REAPER Shirts and Stuff

Huh... You're right. I listened to it on this computer (my recording PC doesn't have net access), and the clicks are gone.

The part you circled is a plain-old clip. I didn't set my levels very carefully.

I've got a new set of headphones coming in (actual studio headphones instead of cheap, J-win general use ones.) I'll play with those and get back to you.

So in my continued adventures with this issue, I reformatted my harddrive and re-installed Windows XP (64 bit version this time). I also installed the latest version of Reaper (the 7/9 release)

The only drive available for my soundcard (m-audio 2496) on this OS is beta.

Sadly, now that I've gotten it up and running, Reaper (and no other audio program so far) crashes horrifically. Whenever I move to another window from Reaper (including ones that Reaper opens such as the render window), something goes wrong.

After I've switched back to reaper, the next time I try to do anything within a menu (such as changing options/configurations, etc.), Reaper completely freezes up. I have to hard reboot the computer to kill the process.

The only workaround I've found so far is that recording undoes whatever went wrong temporarily. I went to Reaper chat to ask about it. They said it was probably a driver issue (which is probably correct), but since it only affects Reaper, I think there might be something wrong on your end too.

I'm thinking of rolling back to an older version of Reaper. Might that help?

Nope. Didn't fix it. :(

I'd reformmated my C: drive, so it was a fresh install to start with.

I just rolled back to version 2206, and that seems to be working so far.

Last edited:
Back